As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, May 12, 2019

A Busy Day... Sunday, May 12

Ahhhh Mother's Day.  I purposely didn't call my father today despite me wanting to and me everyday calling him on such occasions like today.  My father lost his wife but I lost my mom, a face I think is often overshadowed by my father's continual grief. 

Instead, I decided to do something different this year.

This year I acknowledged today with nothing but positive vibes and some late night 'dirty carbs'.

I may not be a mother of 'hoomans' or 'people babies', as my friends say, but I am a proud mother, a fur mom, of three beautiful four-legged babies here in the Philippines and three in Korea.  I am a fur mom to six fur babies -- Balboa, Pacquiao, Pyen Chi, Cassius, Hulk Jr., and now Rousey. 

But before celebrating Mother's Day, I had morning rugby.

Rugby on a Sunday in the midday sun is rough enough but today it was extra hot.  Consequently, it was followed by me walking around feeling light headed and exhausted for the rest of the day.  You really don't feel that drained until you step out of the sun, seriously.  It's not till I get home and shower that I can feel the brain drain and brutal all-over-drain from playing in that heat. 

I was suppose to go back into BGC, much later in the afternoon, after rugby, but I was exhausted.

Cancelled my plans and stayed home with "the kids".  

Later in the evening I was asked to attend one of my neighbour's BBQ parties.  It was just any neighbour though.  Instead, it was the man responsible for the building of all the homes in my community.  He's the developer -- a young guy who started a company after his father's one and who married a local Filipina celebrity who is quite the gorgeous entrepreneur.  They're a good looking couple and super sweet.  Their house is massive though, wow.  It makes my four floor house look like super tiny.  What a gorgeous house.  They've made such a beautiful home for themselves and their backyard appears to only be accessible through the house which was super cool.  

At the BBQ party were other residents in the area as well as my next door neighbour, also a well-known celebrity.  He's probably like the nicest neighbour I've ever had and it was great to spend some time with him and our other neighbours.  I don't really see many people around the neighbourhood during the day, just my neighbours' workers, so it was nice to see some real neighbours.  

My new life here, in Acacia Estates, is starting to really feel like I'm finally at home.

No comments: