As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 03, 2019

Frustrations on the Rise... Friday, May 3

First official morning waking up in the new house, “the forever home”, the Empowered Clubhouse, and it was pretty amusing. I woke up totally wanting to cancel my whole day’s worth of plans because I have a problem… the curtains make the master bedroom just so damn cozy. 

Geez, what a problem, right?! 

Waking up in a super cozy bedroom pretty much the size of my entire former condo was sweet. Having to walk down four flights of stairs to get breakfast, not so sweet, nor was realizing the stove still isn’t fixed yet so there’d be no morning coffee. 

Today’s missing, after coaching my morning clients, was to return back to the clubhouse and clean the kitchen. Cleaning the kitchen, wow, I think perhaps that overpriced cleaning crew might have undersold themselves with this one actually. Nasty. Through in the fact that I didn’t have a vacuum, just a broom, a mop and some cleaning clothes and… ya,… it made scooping out all those dead flies in the cabinets “real fun”… gross. 

I didn’t actually get around to cleaning the massive fridge/freezer. I figured once I got a bug stuck under my fingernail, I was good to go and totally deserving of calling it quits for the day. 

Spent the rest of the day going ghetto-style with using my cellphone to contact sellers regarding the materials I need for my gym. 

Things I tried to track down and set up today… 
1. truck tire 
2. turf 
3. battle rope 
4. small white bench 
5. mirror 
6. padded floor mats 

But with each item, of course, there ran into complications and frustrations. 

1. TRUCK TIRE -- How big?! Simple question but not easy one to answer because a truck tire isn’t just a truck tire. Spent a chunk of my afternoon Goggling how the heck they measure and classify different tires. By the end of it though, my answer still hadn’t changed -- “I want a massive transport truck tire”. 

2. TURF -- Easy to find in 2 meter widths but next to impossible to find in 1 meter widths unless you want to pay for the 2 meters and ask them to cut it. Which, you probably guessed it already, means you’ll be shilling out twice the amount of money because you’re going to be stuck with twice the amount of turf, 2 meters in width. 

3. BATTLE ROPE -- Ohhhh the thickest you have is 2”, now what exactly am I suppose to do with that?! Use it to tie my hair up??? Seriously, battle rope is like jump rope here and I’m not impressed. I want rope that’s like 3” thick, at least, that when my fighters pick it up they know they’re going to get their butts kicked. 

4. SMALL WHITE BENCH -- Measurements are key here as is weight restrictions, something you’d think would be a given but you’d be surprised at what sellers are trying to pass off as appropriate for a full grown woman to sit on. A shelf unit flipped on its side is not a bench. It’s a possible accident waiting to happen. 

5. Mirror -- Now I’m talking about two mirrors here, one that has to be custom cut for the bathroom on the first floor, under the stairs, and one that has to be massive and occupy the gym floor front wall. Anything custom and you know you can already here the dollar signs chiming in your head. Delivery of the second mirror is going to kill me…. Like, maybe literally. That’s a lot of glass coming through that front door and up the stairs. 

6. Padded floor mats -- These are relatively easy to find though I think I got on one sellers’ bad side when I asked if they were joking when they tried to sell me black mats with blue dots on it for what I had told them was a women’s only gym. But anyways…. These mats are easy to come by but the delivery is what is going to kill me because I’m not getting many. I’m getting less than two handfuls but with each mat weighing in at 15kgs, I’m going to need delivery and delivery men to carry these massive mats up the stairs. 

So yeah, I know what I want, for the most part, and know what I need. It’s just the execution of it that’s being the problematic part of it all. I’m really trying to locate a supplier that has at least a few of these items, to save me on multiple deliveries from multitude suppliers, but so far it’s just been a mash up of disappointing phone calls and frustrating texts.

No comments: