As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, May 04, 2019

Game Day... Saturday, May 4

It was game day today -- Lady Mavericks vs the Eagles in a game of 15’s rugby. 

Thankfully it wasn’t such an early game so I didn’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn. Mother Nature, however, decided to have a little fun with us and she decided to most randomly downpour on us right before the game started. In she came with the brutal wind and pouring rain, and then suddenly she just stopped right before the game, convientantly enough right when our opposing team showed up. 

How nice of Mother Nature to greet them with sunshine and leave us standing there looking like drowned rats that had been rolled in the mud one too many times. 

Thanks lady. [Enter me being tempted to flip her the bird here… seriously.] 

We lost our game. First loss our team experienced this year actually so props to us for that. 

We lost the game but it was a good game and a very rough and tough, intense one. I got tackled in the first half and ended up doing a 180 in the air; that was crazy. Talk about getting a mad adrenaline rush and the rushing back into the play because you want more. Seriously, it had me pumped. 

There weren’t too many injuries but those that happened seemed to be quite serious. Serious enough that ice was passed out to various players after the game so they walked around holding their injuries. One male player in the last game was actually carried out on a stretcher. Holy intense. My right ankle got stepped on so the spikes of the cleats crunched down on my ankle. I also took a knee to the head during a scrum that didn’t go as planned, obviously, and I took a shoulder right to the eye. That hurt. That definitely hurt and I’m surprised my eye didn’t swell up like a mofo. My ankle swelled up, long after I had already left the game and was home with my doggies. I looked down at my ankle and suddenly it had become a cankle -- wide, swollen and looking like a bubble had replaced the area where once my ankle had resided. Iced it and then crashed for the night.

No comments: