As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, May 13, 2019

In God's Hands... Monday, May 13

With it being Election Day, many of my fighters are out of the city, enjoying the extra long weekend.  Not me though.  I was enjoying it but via working through it and then heading out to coach the Lil' Sistas.

The smallest of the Lil' Sistas of Taguig is no longer at the orphanage.  She was the black sheep of the crew, the rebellious little one who always wanted to fight everyone and anyone.  She never wanted to fight me though and instead she always tried to impress me and hang around my side.  I liked her.  I've always liked "the underdog", if you'd call her that.  I think you can.  I was told today that she was turned away from the orphanage.  "She was just too wild", I was told.  I could see that.  I could definitely see that.

Upon returning home from coaching, I told Skittles the story.  

"You want to adopt her, don't you?" he asked.

I laughed at his joke but 50% of what you joke about is true so there's always some degree of truth even in a funny.  I don't want to adopt her, well, I didn't, but to hear that she's been let go... it's just so sad.  I know the nuns at Holy Family Home try so hard to show nothing but love and support to all the little girls that pass through their doors.  I don't doubt whether or not they tried their hardest because I know they did and they always do.  What that little girl needed though was some undivided attention, a family.  I don't know where she is now or what will become of her but tonight I said a little prayer for her.  Honestly I did, and I don't exactly pray for anyone.  I pray for those who can't help themselves and, this little girl, well, God will have to help her now.

No comments: