As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Justifying the Years Lost... Tuesday, May 14

I think that we all have stories to tell, stories to share, lessons learnt that we can pass down to the next person, discovered truths that can inspire others.  Today I had an interview and it was about sharing parts of my story.  It was a podcast interview with Teddy Sage.  I've done other podcast interviews but this was one where the crew was all out with all the fancy microphones and multiple cameras, catching every sound and sight.

One of the questions that got me really thinking was when they asked me how did I ever become so motivated and driven.  I've had a lot of people ask me that and, honestly, I've always been very goal-focused so that's kept me focused and driven but I think upon making my first company in Korea, that's when I got hyper-focused on pursuing my dreams and making my dreams a reality. 

I think it was then that I felt a shift, a new-found pressure.  I had lived in Korea for about 7 years, maybe a bit longer, when I launched my first company.  My family have always wanted me to move back to Canada but when I didn't and then my mom got sick with cancer, I had to make my situation work.  I had to justify why I was away from my family and friends.  That pressure only amplified to the millions when I decided to stay here in the Philippines after my inital three months stay.

I had "strayed away" from home again for a second time and now with my mother gone, my father alone and his health getting worse, the pressure was on.  I couldn't not make my company work.  To not really nose dive into my work and give it all was the only option because to not do that meant I'd go home, home to Canada.  

Living overseas, I've missed family functions like birthday parties, weddings and funerals.  I've missed special occasions with friends and a lot of missed out moments.  I've kicked myself out of the lives of many, many people that mean so much to me.  So to just be here, just getting by, it wouldn't justify all that I've missed out on, all the sacrifices I've made to be here when the reality of it is that I could have and would have been back in Canada with those I love.  Instead, I'm here, trekking it out on a business plan I believe in and a purpose I'm 100% sure in.  I may not fully know the execution of all my ideas just yet, it's a work-in-progress, but I know I'm giving it my all.  

No comments: