As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 10, 2019

Stuck in Makati... Friday, May 10

Let's not talk about how today was the WORST DAY E-V-E-R.

Ok,... so I'm going to talk about it.  I can't NOT talk about it after making such a strong statement.

So today, the actual day time, wasn't bad.  It was actually really good, despite Angkas screwing me over with being MIA in the Acacia area so I had to cancel my first personal training with one fighter.  I started searching for an Angkas on their app at 6:45am... an hour and 15 minutes later and still no luck so I called it.

Ok, so perhaps that was a brutal start to the day, sure, but the rest of my day was good.  

I coached two other fighters back-to-back, beasted out at my own boxing training, and then went and coached my last fighter of the day, a fighter I haven't seen in like forever.

And that's when things nose dived into the "worst day e-v-e-r" category.

Booked an Angkas after finishing coaching, 5:30pm.  That Angkas called to ask me if I could wait an additional 20 minutes, that's 20 minutes on top of the already 20 minutes the app said I'd have to wait.  I cancelled the ride and tried again.  Second Angkas booked.  He called to tell me that he had to cancel because his tire was flat.  Third Angkas booked... nope, no third Angkas but, instead, there were about a billion and one attempts at getting another Angkas that carried on well in to the late evening with it draining my phone battery completely as well as my patience.  

Dead phone battery was a problem but I had my phone cable and adaptor on me so I headed into a random coffee shop.  Turns out my adaptor was an additional problem.  It works but not really.  For every five minutes of phone charging, I only got 1% of battery juice.  

Ended up using a random girls' power pack with my cable and that seemed to work.

A partly recharged battery only works for so long and so, when it died again, I found another coffee shop.  Tried going to random corner stores to use their charging machine but turns out they only use the old style of peso and I nor the shop had any... so I asked a few customers.  

Phone dies again trying to juggle between ordering an Angkas and a Grab. I went in search of Hubal-hubal, the locals version of Angkas before Angkas was a thing.

No such luck. I went in search of a taxi.  Found many but all that were clearly throwing me "the White Girl Price".  I'm talking about them telling me it'd cost me over 700Php when even on a busy day it'd max out at 400Php.  None of them wanted to go on the meter.  All of them insisted on a ridiculous flat rate and all of them clearly were trying to rob me.  No thanks.  So I walked some more. 

There were lots of randomness that happened in between me trying to get an Angkas and me finally getting a Grab at 11:30pm but I'd rather not relive with that because what happened next was only insult to injury. 

Arrived back at home.  Skittles wanted to go for wing night at the local diner so I agreed, after all I didn't want my entire evening to go to total waste.  I wanted to salvage what I could.  I told him I'd just run upstairs, grab a sweater, put some makeup on and quickly do my hair.  So that's what I did.  But after fixing up my hair and dabbing some hair wax on my hands to do so, I realized something.

No water between 12 midnight and 5am.

The water in the community has been shut off so there I stood with wax in my hands, unable to even shower off the day's craziness and all the sweat that came with carrying my full day of coaching gear and bodyweight worth of wet training gear from my own boxing.

Of course it got shut off today, because it's not like anything else was going right for me.

No comments: