As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 02, 2020

Next Level... Tuesday, January 2

I'm here on vacation, yes but not really.

Today I had a meeting with MJKO Boxing Club.  MJKO stands for Mentoring Junior Kids Organization and it's a nonprofit boxing club that offers free boxing to kids under the age of 18.  It's a safe space for kids, a means of getting them off the streets and out of trouble.  It's also a positive place where they are mentored and looked after, encouraged and supported.  It's pretty awesome that their head coach is my friend Coach Miranda and that we both started boxing with the very same coach, Coach Egerton. 

Coach Egerton is also so very proud about us when he talks about us and we're just as proud of him and that he was our coach.  He's an Olympian, a silver medalist, and he won his medal in the Seoul, South Korea Olympics.

My meeting today with Coach Miranda was to catch up and give her the letter from my Lil' Sistas who are in the Snail Mail Program and write to some of her girls.  It was also an opportunity to touch bases on what's next for her girls and my girls and what we can do to take this to the next level.  She inquired about bringing a couple of her girls to the Philippines and I was thrilled.  The plane ticket would be the most expensive thing but once they got there, their money, even if it were a lack of money, wouldn't be a problem.  Life is so much cheaper in the Philippines in comparison to Canada and though I make pesos, they make dollars here.  Their dollar kills the Philippines peso.  It'd be so awesome to have some of her girls come to the Philippines but it got me thinking about the possibility of bringing a couple of my girls here to Canada, like getting them to speak on behalf of the causes and issues that the Lil' Sistas deal with, like poverty and human trafficking.  I think it'd be so incredibly impactful for not only them but those listening to them if they were to come here.

...and so my brain is racing a mile a minute. 

Taking the Lil' Sistas Project to the next level would mean taking it internationally, beyond just the letters that are crossing the border.  It'd be THEM, the Lil' Sistas, crossing the border.

No comments: