As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 07, 2011

Nice... while I was racking up the bus tickets in Seoul, Snickers was racking up another car, a van actually.
So now we've got Gotti (my scooter), Maximus (Snickers' scooter), Goldie (our car), and a not-yet-named van. And when you live in Korea, parking ain't so easy, hence the orange parking cones we've had to incorporate.

2 comments:

mark said...

hi amy, how do you cope living in korea for so long? dont you find most koreans painfully childish and docile? i would like to know as you seem so happy there.

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Hi Mark,
Actually, I find Koreans to be quite the opposite. In my eyes, they're rather innocent (child-like not childish) and aggressive. Those ajjumas will take you out in the shopping malls and Korean men are so pushy with the whole I'm -older-so-you-must-listen hierarchy cause of the emphasis Korea puts on age and position.
My problem isn't with Koreans, its with their culture. I'm a foreign female boxer married to a Korean boxer so because we don't fit the norm, in regard to social expectations, gender roles, etc, we are often met with pushy people trying to shape us into what Korea has labeled as right and wrong.
Take for example the fact that I don't want a baby. There's not a week that goes by when some Korea doesn't question why I don't have a baby. I'm like a social termite... eating up what they think is right.