As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 08, 2014

Hulk's is Nothing like Flipside... Monday, September 8

Tonight I hosted a girls-only social event; I called it Girls Night In. It was a movie night and I figured I'd host an event because this past weekend was Chuseok so we have several days off. 

Just got word that the government is now making it mandatory for the holiday to be given three full business days off. This means no more potential Friday, Saturday, Sunday Chuseok, with the weekend robbing us off some real days off. Consequently, this year we have from Saturday to Wednesday to celebrate the holiday -- that's 5 days off for me!!! 

So with a handful of days off for me, for our Hulkies and for our club, I figured it was fitting that we'd make some kind of event. After all I can't be the only one looking for an excuse out of celebrating the holiday with family and I knew there'd be plenty of people sticking around Cheonan with no real plans. I was right and today a handful of them showed up at our club, at Hulk's. 

One of our super sweet, spoil-us-rotten Hulkies showed up hours before the party even started. She had anticipated coming but was then suddenly called into work. She texted me and then just showed up at the front door, with a big grin on her face and milk and juice for our party-goers. What a sweet gal, I tell ya. She's the same sweet little lady who surprised me with a shower basket full of goodies for the girls-only shower stall and who bought doggie treats for our four-legged friends the first day she came to Hulk's. 

Later, after I finished my own training and cleaned the club from top to bottom, our party-going ladies showed up for my event. Three new ladies whom I've never met before arrived and that was a nice addition to the party mix. I had a long time faithful friend arriving shortly, one of my more dedicated female Hulkies had arrived early and I also had one of our more hardcore Hulkies in attendance too. It was definitely a good mix. 

The party had kicked off at 8pm but it wasn't until after 3am, maybe even 3:30am, that the last person went home. They had all helped to clean up the club -- the front lounge area and juice bar. Someone washed the dishes while the others cleaned up all the snacks and rearranged the furniture; one gal even helped me walk my four-legged friends. All that was left for me to do was simply turn off the lights and go to bed. 

It wasn't a big event nor was it a hard one to plan, and I think the simplicity of the event made it a great one. I really do miss planning events like what I used to for Flipside Fitness but am happy I no longer run Flipside Fitness and deal with many of those who were once associated with it. I felt too many of its members seriously suffered from some kind of commitment-phobia -- always promising but always canceling. 

Now I run Hulk's and everything I do is for it and its members. Members have invested in my business with the hope that I will train them well, work them hard and make them succeed, and their investment in me as a trainer means a lot to me. I am no longer just the group leader who has made the sacrifices and invested everything but instead am the one people are investing into -- the tables have turned. Hulk's Boxing, in so many ways, is the polar opposite of Flipside Fitness and for that I am relieved. I think our boxing social events are a pure bonus but I like making them, perhaps I like making them more for Hulk's than I did for Flipside because when members cancel they always follow through with a legit reason and an apology. That one member who suddenly got called into work today and thus couldn't attend the party, not only did she email me but she then showed up at my front door and with party gifts. That's the difference between Flipside and Hulk's -- people are more mentally committed and connected with what we're doing here and that means the world of difference to me. I like making social events more so for Hulk's and I think they're what makes our boxing club feel more like a club, like a social club, than just a place to exercise in and I know members appreciate it.

No comments: