As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, September 04, 2014

It's Not Called Giving Up if You've Exhausted all Other Means...Thursday, September

I'm not too sure how over the line I've just crossed but I just told one of my members that if she divorced her junk-of-a-husband that I'd go pro-bono with personal training her and do everything I possibly can to get her a new fresh stronger bod for her new, healthier life.  I even offered to babysit her kids and those who know me know this is totally not like me to offer such a thing.  It's not that I think she needs a new body nor do I think a free, timeless club membership is worthy of giving up 10 years of marriage, instead I just wanted her to know that despite the social pressure she's feeling for her to stay with him, it's OK if she doesn't.  It's so much better if she doesn't.  OK, so perhaps I wanted to help push her towards making a certain move, I'm surely not only on this though.

Snickers is totally in on this too, so much in fact that he took it upon himself to call out the mistress of this junk-of-a-husband and meet up with her at a local coffee shop today.  He left me to manage the club for a bit.  "You snap a picture of her," I told him when he left.  "You snap a picture of her so that if I ever see her..." Honestly, I didn't know what I'd ever do if I ever saw her but he snapped a picture of her right in the middle of the meeting.  He stuck his cellphone right in her face, she looked up, and snap went the camera.

I was told the meeting was cold and the mistress appeared completely empty, almost as if she didn't even know how to express emotion or feeling.  Snickers told her about what happened the other day -- the early morning phone call situation -- and it didn't even phase her.  She appeared to not have a care in the world regarding it and instead continued to sip on her coffee.

I got into a bit of an argument with my main sponsor when I told him about wanting to take her on pro bono and what was the stipulation -- I'll only take her on if she divorced her husband.  He says it's not so easy, they have kids together, but I argued that that's what makes it all that easier, because they DO have kids together.  Likes breed likes and it's not even just that, it's because the living environment is no longer healthy, the dynamics of that family are so twisted and so full of secrets now, and their relationship as a couple is now full of toxic energy.  Her very successful business, a business she knew she'd start long before she even entered university to study for it, is feeling the implications too.  I know people make mistakes but a so-called "mistake" that has continued for a year can hardly be considered a mistake.  He only said sorry because he got caught and that is the plain and simple truth.  He got caught after a year but would he had said sorry if he had got caught earlier?  Probably, so why didn't he stop when he was supposedly sorry?  Exactly, because he was only sorry he got caught.  

I've had a month to digest the news she revealed to us and on Tuesday, when Snickers woke up to her frantic voice on the phone with more terrible news, well, that was the breaking point.  So yes, I am all in favor of a divorce because honestly we, all of us who are in her life and aware of the situation, can not simply stand by as he destroys her more.  "Prepare those divorce papers and put them on his hospital bed for when he wakes up", was my advice.  I am not cold and I am not cruel, I am human, but there is only so much pain a person can take before enough is enough.  I believe there's a difference between giving up and knowing when to walk away and that line was definitely crossed this week.  

No comments: