As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

No Frowns Here for Today's Total Change of Plans... Sunday, September 7

No special word of the day but instead a blessing in disguise.  

Comic books -- Japanese-written, late-night reading, comic books.  They were my blessing.

On account of Snickers staying up way too late to read his comic books last night, we totally slept in.  We were supposed to wake up at 6am, be out of the house by 7am and out at Granny Kim's house in the sticks by 8:30am, but none of that happened.  Instead, we woke up at 9am.  I could have gone with my inital plans, to go to my breakfast club meeting, after all it's been some weeks since I last went, but with no food prepared and me waking up right when the meeting across town started, I simply rolled over and enjoyed the thought of not having to deal with the typical "why-still-no-baby?!" traditional Chuseok blues.  

No blues this Chuseok for me, thank you very much.  And instead of a house full of pestering spoiled children with their parents who lack the word "no" in their vocab, I stayed in my house full of four-legged babies and stayed happily half naked for most of the day.

Next week we'll be heading out to Granny Kim's house.  She won't be expecting us but I suspect she'll love the unexpected surprise.  Chuseok is rather an overdose of family for her, I'm sure, and she always is all smiles when we come on unexpected days.

Snickers and I headed out for lunch today, for a special Chuseok dinner together, but we ran into a bit of a problem with the initial restaurant we arrived at.  It's a stunning restaurant, not far from downtown, and the main chef and owner are well aware of who Snickers and I are.  Usually us eating there is greeted with the chef coming out to say hi and the owner sending over complimentary dishes.  Today however, neither the owner nor the main chef were there and so instead of being somewhat like boxing royalty we were punked off as young kids and given the meat scraps.  I'm not joking.  The pieces of meat that got so rudely slapped down on our table's grill were all chopped up and rather mangled looking.  Snickers commented, telling them that he's never seen such sad looking pieces of meat.  The chef came out, not the usual one, and insisted that the meat always looks like this -- a fact both Snickers and I in all our years of eating there know too well to not be true.  So we sat there, ate all the side dishes and then Snickers told me to get up.  "We're leaving", he said, and after asking another employee working about the meat and getting the same response, we left.  Snickers offered to pay but when he dropped the manager's name the staff all got nervous and insisted we didn't need to pay.  I felt bad for leaving, after all they had prepared so many side dishes and I do love that restaurant, but at the cost of an arm and a leg for one of their meals and suspecting we got the scraps because of it being the holiday, I walked out.

Restaurant number two was a local spot we often go to on Saturdays with WOW.  It's a small meat restaurant where the crowd is always large, the price is always cheap and the meat is always expectantly delish.  The table of older men next to us loved sitting beside Snickers and I so that was definitely amusing.  Leave it to a Korean to compliment you on your small head size, a thing I once thought was actually a sign of bad luck.  One complimented me on my chopstick skills to which I giggled and told him I've been living in Korea now for 10 years.  When they heard that, up started the questions.  Snickers had the whole table clapping for him when he mentioned that I was his wife and then, at the end of the meal, one man complimented me by saying I "eat very well".  Yes, I may be small in stature but what I lack in size I definitely make up for in energy and appetite!  

No comments: