As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Bah Humbug for the Weekend... Saturday, April 6

I HATE WEEKENDS!!!
 
I thought weekends were bad when my boxercise classes were put on hold but then we decided to make our own boxing club and weekends went from bad to terrible. As soon as Friday evening comes and our workers clock out, I am then forced to wait till Monday for them to return and for government offices to reopen. Patience is not my friend… not my friend at all. I want to take him and upper cut him, go a few rounds on him and then tag team Snickers to knock him out.

Despite it being a Saturday though, we did manage to get some of our workers out.
  • Electrical crew – They came in and set up some temporarily lights so our other crews can work.
  • Glass -- We got someone in to repair the club’s broken front glass door.
  • Painting crew -- They came in to go over the plans with our interior coordinator.
  • Printers – Got some quotes and arranged for a promo thing I’m doing for Flipside Flipside.
  • Cleaning crew -- We interviewed what appeared to be some kind of ajjuma cleaning gang – a posie of ajjumas (middle aged women) that flooded our boxing club with their permed hair and purple jackets.
We also had our usual daily meeting at WOW Motors with their president. Our meetings are usually always informal and are just a means of keeping them up to date with the boxing club and our training. Today our meeting with them continued on into the evening with us taking the president and his floor manager (our friend) to the boxing club for training. We’ve been training the WOW Motors President for some time now but today marked the first time training him at our boxing club. It’s still very dirty and oh so very cold but there was definitely a sense of excitement with showing up there for training!
 
Had a bit of a scary run-in with an additional homeless man living in our building.  It was after training when Mouse Doctor ventured up to the second floor.  He looked up and there across the floor stood a man standing at him.  The two locked eyes, the homeless man turned and walked away but Mouse Doctor ran down to go tell Snickers.  The building is a five story building with a couple of basements so it's quite large.  After what felt like an hour of tedious searching, we found him.  He was curled up in a corner on the fifth floor.  Mouse Doctor gave him some money and Snickers told him he'd have to leave by tomorrow or he'll risk being barricaded into the building when the construction workers cut off the stairwell exits with walls and locked doors.  I wasn't there when they confronted him; that would have freaked me out.  This man is the third homeless man we've found in our building, with our "tenant" being the first one we discovered.  I actually think it's smart of them to have come into our building to live -- it's a massive building with lots of floor, lots of space and our floor especially provides a lot of security for them because of all the broken glass that surely would act as an alarm system and all the rooms at the end of our floor. 
 
It's been a good week since I last saw our "tenant", my "bodyguard", and now days I find myself scanning the streets out front, looking to see if he's around.  I got into a conversation today about the homeless man with a local seller who somehow had heard that I had befriended our "tenant".  He thought it funny to joke about homeless people in general and I seriously thought I was going to freak out and punch him right there on the spot.  "Don't feel sorry for him -- he is to blame for his own problem", he told me.  I don't feel sorry for our "tenant" though, I feel sad for him.  I feel sad because regardless of what happened to bring him to resort to living on the streets, he honestly felt there was no one he could turn to to help him out.  He felt he had no one and that's what I think is sad.  I think everyone has someone -- even bad people have someone who'll help them out.  When I was involved in that scene that went down some weeks ago with me needing stitches, our tenant was my someone.  Anyways, my conversation with this rude seller ended with me telling him that if something ever happened to him that I wouldn't be his someone.  "Don't count on me", I told him, "karma will get you."
  
I feel so pro-homeless people these days, like I'm some kind of advocate for them.  I've become really sensitive to society's disadvantaged.  I find myself even trying to be extra nice to those people who go around collecting boxes and cardboard from the trash with their little trolley carts.  The other day a friend of mine gave me a hard time when I invited one up to my house to collect our boxes.  My friend walked into my house to find some older woman flattening boxes on my floor and sipping on milk while I was in the bathroom.  I had given her the milk and didn't see her being in my house as posing any kind of threat.  I suppose I shouldn't tell my friend though that this isn't the first time I've invited this lady into my house for milk and boxes. 
 
Next weekend will be the last time I anticipate ever starting a Saturday posting off with “I HATE WEEKENDS” as we are anticipating hosting a soft opening that following week. I wasn’t too familiar with the concept of a soft opening but Snickers told me it’s kind of like a “trial-run opening”. It’s an opening before the opening so that we can work out the kinks, see what works with our members and what doesn’t, and then make adjustments accordingly. We initially wanted to open up before the end of April, officially have our grand opening, but now we’re leaning on having this soft opening go till the end of April and then having the grand opening set for the first of May and opening party that first Saturday.
  
Things have been happening at rapid pace but there is still so much left to do. It’s a bit intimidating, certainly overwhelming, and perhaps a bit scary too, but it’s most definitely very awesome!!! 

No comments: