As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Female Power Overload at Hulk's... Monday, October 28

After much procrastination on my behalf, I finally got up and out the door for my run.  I always have these highly dissected ideas of my runs, I over think them before I even head out the door for them.  Today was going to be my first run in my new Adidas kicks so I had spent the past couple of days breaking them in beforehand.  What was initially supposed to be a long run today ended up being me doing a mock race day run instead.  I had one minor set back in my run, an ankle sock that just wouldn't stay on my ankle, but even that didn't work to slow me down.  Ended up tossing the one sock into a bush and I still killed my time.... sweet!!!
 
Everyday WOW President asks me about my training and how my runs are going so I was quite proud today when I told him I met my goal time.  He greeted my positive news with wide eyes and a thumbs up.  In our previous race together, I beat him by 4 minutes but I know he's going to give me quite the competition at this upcoming race.  The goal isn't to beat him though that would be nice to do so.  The goal is to clock in within the 49 minute goal time. 
 
Killing my goal time today instantly sent me into quite the natural high that lasted long after the sun went down today.  I tried to rub my good vibes and giddiness off on a very cranky little Miss Pyen Chi but I was only somewhat successful.  She came to work with me today and was a happy girl only as long as she was by my side which meant she sat outside my bathroom stall door every time I had to pee, she crowded the space behind the juice bar counter with me, and she taught herself how to open the heavy office glass panel door when I tried to leave her side. 
 
Awwww Pyen Chi.  She'll be living at Hulk's until her period is over so Snickers and I will be taking turns on who will sleep over here with her.  She's perfectly fine by herself, maybe a bit lonely, but it's more so us that will really miss her.
 
We were on an estrogen-overload today with female members filing in one after another and training hard.  At our club, we've got a surprisingly large female population and I think it's just so awesome.  Every hour on the hour it seems like I've got another fierce female walking through my club door, ready and willing to train hard and break a sweat. We honestly never expected this overload of women but it's been so motivating to me personally.  After years of being one of the only hardcore female members at UP Boxing Club and having to deal with all the attached issues that came with it -- stares from newcomers, questionable looks from others, people thinking I'm training hard to prove something, the total lack of any kind of female support team, and so forth -- it feels completely awesome to have the polar opposite now, here at our own club.  I'm not a feminist in that I think men are out to rule the world and make us women weak because I don't think that, but there's definitely something to be said about being in a foreign country, going against the social norms and having a positive support team that consists of foreign women AND Korean women.  I've found my support team in the very women I train.  I'm most impressed with just how many female Koreans I train though and just how hard they train because I always thought training hard and doing boxing was more accepted by the foreign population and not by Korean woman.  It's pretty cool though to see how wrong I was at this assumption.  Times are changing, they definitely are, and it's pretty awesome to see and experience a new generation, a new wave of thinking, among the Korean woman.

No comments: