As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

One Slip and Fall Turned Everything Upside Down... Thursday, November 28

It is obvious that I'm no longer attached to my hair, I've practically chopped it all off, but one of the reasons why I chopped my hair is because of the now brassy highlights that just don't seem to be growing out.  Today I decided I didn't want to wait any longer so I took matters into my own hands.  I didn't want to tell Snickers what I was going to do nor did I want to spend the money that I don't have to get it professionally done.   So I bought a box of Japanese hair dye with a doll on the front modeling the colour.  When I went home, Snickers was just heading out the door.  He told me he'd be back in exactly 20 minutes to pick me up.  No sooner did he close the door, I took the box of Japanese hair dye out from the back of my sweater and got busy dying my hair.
 
Snickers ended up showing up 25 minutes later and he didn't notice until much later that my hair had gone from brassy highlights to pale BLUE highlights.  I can rock the blue, that's no problem. 
 
My work day went downhill, comfort wise that is, with the downhill fall Snickers took outside.  It was a great day but with him flat on his back, nursing a bad fall from shoveling the snow, members then looked to me to take on the responsibility of training everyone in everything -- boxing, weight training and crossfit (evening class). Even our crossfit trainer was out of commission, ironically from a back injury too.  Comfort wise, I felt just as much in pain at the end of my work day as Snickers was with his back injury except it was my arms, shoulders and back in pain.  Thankfully a couple of our members trained by themselves and/or with each other today but it was still a hard work day for me, physically. 
 
Snickers is usually the one who takes on the padwork with most of our male members because it's not appropriate for me to do padwork with them when most of them are bigger, taller and stronger than me.  Padwork is grueling for members to do but it's equally hard on our bodies as coaches because we take the impact of their punches and not always do their hard hooks hit the pad correctly.  It's when hooks are throw incorrectly that particularly are painful for me.  But Thursday isn't Free Train Day, Friday is, so I tried my best to do padwork with members I wouldn't normally agree to do it with.  In the busiest moment, I was juggling training ten members.  I did padwork with six of them, put two of them through a crossfit circuit and did some match-boxing with two others. 
 
For the most part today, Snickers stayed in the office, laying on the heated blanket on the couch.  He came out every now and then and when he did he'd sit on the couch by the coal thingy-a-ma-jiggy.  I tried to baby him by making him hot chocolate and continually tucking him into his blankets in the office, but I know he was frustrated not being able to train our members.  I tried to encourage him to go home and simply sleep it off but he's just as stubborn and just as addicted to Hulk's as I am so he stayed at the club with me.  A trip to the hospital reassured us that no real damaged had been done to his back and that he was just experiencing muscle pain -- nothing a couple of days of rest and relaxation couldn't solve, according to the doctor. 
 
We ended up throwing one of our random chicken parties tonight, partly to say sorry to our members for Snickers being MIA with training them, partly to distract them from the chill of the club, but also to thank them for continually train hard and being faithful to Hulk's.  We are blessed by them daily.
 
Later on in the evening, while sipping on barley tea around the coal thingy-a-ma-jig, I heard someone say something that was like music to my ears.  I had just handed a little tea cup to one of my Hulkies when another noted that he had just drank from it, hinting that maybe she should wash it.  "It's ok," she said, "we're from the same family".  The two talking aren't actually brother or sister, nor do they have any blood tie.  Instead, the family she was referring to was our Hulk family and at the realization of this I wrapped my arm around her and hugged her. 

No comments: