As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, November 02, 2013

Rest, Relaxation and Pumpkin Cake... Saturday, November 2

It's my day off.
 
It's my day off and I'm spending it at home responding to work-related emails, updating the books, translating a food diary document, and brainstorming ideas for an upcoming event I want to announce.  Snickers has sports day with the boys later today so he'll be spending the evening at Hulk's and I'll probably drop by.  Stark and another friend of ours is in town tonight but with no place for them to sleep Hulk's has become a prime sleepover party spot. 
 
One of my favourite things to do on my day off is to actually do nothing at all -- sleep in, sip on coffee late into the day and exclude myself from the rest of the world outside.  I spend the entire week working, surrounded by numerous people and loud music, pushing members and myself through vigorous training, being not only a coach and motivator but also somewhat of an entertainer and energy-supplier.  So for my one day off, I like it to be filled with no plans, no appointments or meetings, and nothing really at all but relaxing.
 
I love my job and I love the fact that I have actually reached a point in my life where I can honestly make such a claim.  Having said this though, it does take a lot from me so on my day off I like an extra dose of peace and quiet.  The only thing I want to hear on my Saturdays are the squiring of my little four-legged friends across my kitchen floor, the coffee machine brewing and Snickers giggling over the bedhead hair I proudly sport all day.
 
Today was my day off but it also marked the fifth anniversary for Hulk's and the first birthday of Pacquiao.  So, on that note, we bought a large cake and had a little celebration.  Laugh as you may but we honestly thought about heading out to get Pyen Chi and bringing her back to join us.  Monroe Frost is getting some work done however so getting Pyen Chi would mean walking her all the way here and then all the way back in the pouring rain.  Ended up having a little party and then taking some cake over to Hulk's for her.  It was a pumpkin cake with baked potatoes sticking out of the top.  May sound strange but to a family of four-legged babies whose favourite snacks include bananas, the heads of spinach and egg yokes, the sight of pumpkin and sweet potatoes make them go bonkers. 



No comments: