As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Michevious Me... Tuesday, January 14


"300" Spartans, prepare for glory!
My mischievous me came out today at Hulk's when I had this "great" idea to make up a new exercise routine style.  I call it the Spartan circuit.  It's basically a series of five exercises at 30 reps each to be done one after another for one set. The circuit is then to be done for 2 sets.  The total equals 300 reps and is quite gruelling, hence the Spartan label this circuit holds.  I made this up yesterday actually and, like always, I tested it out on myself first, doing it for abs.  Consequently, today everything from laughing to bending over to tie my shoes hurts.

Today I made two of my fierce female Hulkies give it a try.  One needed me to help push her through it while the other literally had to roll off the bench because she couldn't sit up.  She definitely had hulked out on this one!  After she got up, I told her she now had the proud right to yell out "I am Spartan".  We both had a good laugh and then crossed our arms over our tummies in pain. 

Spartan CodeSo perhaps pushing my members through gruelling training isn't exactly mischievous of me but I was called evil for doing so.  A definite mischievous me surfaced tonight though when I thought it funny to scare some of our members by pulling a cap gun on them.  The other day I had noticed them slipping out of training to grab a quick smoke.  I opened the front door and told them to drop their smokes and come back in.  Ok, so me telling them was more like me yelling at them and waving a long stick at them but I wanted them to stop.  Today two of the three guys in this particular group slipped out again for a smoke while their third buddy stayed inside, so I stuck my hand out the door and fired a round of caps from my cap gun at them.  One hit the ground as if it were a real gun while the other covered his face.  Of course I found it too funny, especially considering a neighboring shop owner ran out of his shop to see who had fire such "shots".

Oddly enough we have lots of mini fireworks and a bucket full of caps and a cap gun behind our juice bar.  We don't pull them out much to play with but when we do we definitely shock the socks off members.  Tonight it was a random member sprawled on the floor stretching/taking an extended long break that became my "victim".  I lit a firework and threw it by his feet.  His whole body seemed to jump off the floor and I nearly peed my pants over his dramatic reaction. 

Our Hulkies have come to learn quickly that we like to play as hard as we like to train so lighting off fireworks inside and pulling out a cap gun doesn't surprise them anymore.  All training and no play makes for a very boring day, that's what I say.

No comments: