As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Nothing Free about Today's Free Train Friday... Friday, January 17

Free Train Fridays are SUPPOSED to be somewhat relaxing for me.
Free Train Fridays are SUPPOSED to be the one day when members train by themselves.
Free Train Fridays are SUPPOSED to be a day when I can catch up with office work.
Free Train Fridays are SUPPOSED to be the one day I can do my own training with undivided attention.
Free Train Fridays are SUPPOSED to be slower days at Hulk's.

Today had none of that, none of the supposed "benefits" of it being a Free Train Friday.

Throw in way too many handfuls of pesky parkers and ya, it was a very, very busy Free Train Friday.  Our busiest one of the year so far actually and today was much busier than our Wednesday and Thursday this week.  This time last week I had my heels up on the couch and was watching a movie with my Poster Girl Child.  Today, however, I didn't even really get a chance to sit down at all.  Any sitting down I got a chance to do was when I went to the bathroom but even then I had to rush back to the front of the club.  Someone had called me, telling me a visitor had arrived.  

The pesky parkers continue to drive me bonkers but I really tried to not let them ruin my Friday for me.  I love my Fridays at Hulk's.  I decided today that I wasn't going to let the pesky parkers see me sweat, instead I was going to have some fun with them.  However, me trying to have "fun" with them meant I got a bit overly sarcastic.  Me sarcastic?!  Oh gosh no.  I no longer call pesky parkers, I refuse to.  It's hard enough to talk in Korean on the phone as it is, I don't need the frustration and lack of patience on my behalf to fluster me on the phone with getting them to move their car.  I text message them instead.  My new system is one text message first and a no-parking sign taped onto their car window.  If I get no response from my text, an additional text message is sent every so often until they move their car, as is an additional sign is taped on their car when I feel like it.  Snickers tells me not to do the taped signs, saying that it makes the pesky parkers mad.  Sorry but did I hear that right -- "It makes them mad"...?!  Don't even get me started on just how little I care about them being mad.  I was being sweet by texting them instead of doing what I really wanted to do -- put my scooter lock on their tire.  Today I had a total of 11 pesky parkers to deal with and at one point one member came in and noted that there were no parking spots because of such pesky parkers.  Yup, ALL 7 of our parking spots had been occupied by such pesky parkers so ya, let them get mad.

Today I tried to take a new approach.  I told myself I wasn't going to let such pesky parkers annoy me, I was going to have fun with them.  I should note here that my "fun" here included sarcastic no-parking signs and even sarcastic blackmail.  I took my Korean translated no-parking sign and added some English to it.
Note the misused word in the last sentence, oops.  I'm leaning on the "I'm a boxer, not an English teacher" excuse here... hahaha.

I got a double shot cappuccino out of confronting one pesky parker when she responded to my text message by phoning me.  I ended up accepting the call and seven minutes later I was still on it, talk about pushing my Korean language skills to the max.  At one point in the conversation I admitted to her that I was sorry to sound so mad but I've been dealing with this situation [pesky parkers] for the past 7 months and I just don't know how to make it go away.  She ended up actually suggesting a couple of ideas all of which we've already thought up though and I suggested maybe I should change my cappuccino to alchol.  "It's so exhausting", I told her.  "I need my energy for my members but it is continually eaten by non members [pesky parkers]."  When she finally came to move her car, she came into the club to apologise and to give me a double shot cappuccino.  It was my first honest apology from a pesky parker and the added cappuccino, the double shot cappuccino I should note, was just so super sweet.  I know not all pesky parkers are equal but after 7 months of dealing with sour to more sour and sourest pesky parkers, it was nice to finally meet a sweet one.  I finally met a pesky parker who said sorry, it was a first, and she may very well be the sweetest of sweet pesky parkers too.  

As for the actual IN CLUB work part of my job, today I was bombarded with lots of Hulk newbies so I really couldn't just leave them to train on their own.  I had three new members join Hulk's today as well as a couple who just joined this past week who came in to train.  In total, I trained 9 members today so it surely wasn't a Free Train Friday.

Later in the evening many of my super fun Hulkies arrived and they asked me to show them the Spartan circuit I had made up this past week.  The idea is to do 30 reps of 5 different exercises and to do it in two sets so that it totals 300.  Some of the girls had to split it up while one of the guys almost died pushing himself through it.  I stood by cheering them on and yelling at them not to give it up.  Leave it to them to turn the tables though and insist I do it also.  The deal however, because I'm their coach as they so clearly pointed out, was that I had to do it in one set -- 60 reps for each 5 exercises.  I did it.  There will be no waiting until tomorrow for the pain however because no sooner did I complete it but my entire core felt on fire but I did it and they all cheered.  "Look at that, I am so older than you all but it looks like I just kicked your butts!"  

No comments: