As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Spooked at Hulk's After Hours... Sunday, January 5

Our boxing club building is either haunted by a ghost or inhabited by a homeless person, either way I'm pretty sure I'm going to poop my pants having to now search out which it is.

After we closed the club tonight at 8pm, we turned off the main club lights and then Snickers, T-Boy and I sat around the coal thingy-a-ma-jiggy to chat before we called it a night.  That's when I was told about a supposed ghost that may very well be responsible for the strange things that have been happening at Hulk's recently.  

Strange after-hour happenings:
1.  Last night I showed up at Hulk's just after midnight to train.  Pyen Chi was sitting by the office door watching me when all of a sudden she turned around and raced into the back hallway that links to the bathroom and locker room.  She circled in the bathroom, ran into to the locker room and then came out the other end of the hallway.  It was as if she was chasing something.  And, as if her sudden run wasn't strange enough, I should note here that Pyen Chi very rarely goes into the back hallway because it has a glass floor.  She doesn't like the loudness of her claws on it and it's quite uncomfortable for her to walk on it.

2.  After training last night, I tried to print something off our office computer and Pyen Chi refused to come into the office, even after I called her repeatedly.  She just stood there looking at me.

3.  Last week T-Boy noted to us that he heard the sound of foot steps.  He said he thought it was on the floor above him but all the above floors are abandoned and all the entrances/exits are blocked off.

4.  Sometimes Pyen Chi will randomly start barking when looking towards the front entrance.  She's done this on numerous occasions during working hours too and members have always been confused by this manner.

5.  The other day T-Boy was sitting on the front sofa with Pyen Chi when she turned towards our office at the back of the club and barked. 

6.  T-Boy arrived early today for work, around 11am, and he thought he heard some loud noises coming from the back room by the bathroom, where we store our coal.  It's locked from inside the club but on the other side there's a door leading to both outside and to the stairwell that leads to the rest of the building.  The outside door is always locked and the doorway to the stairwell is bordered off with wood.  He swung open the door, thinking he'd catch whoever was there but there was no one.  

They say that dogs have an extra sense to them and perhaps Pyen Chi is the key to searching out what the heck is going on at Hulk's.  I wasn't aware of any of the strange things going on at Hulk's after hours, beyond my situation last night that is, so it was wild to be sitting there listening to it all.  Leave it to Snickers to then scare the heck out of both T-Boy and myself by telling us a scary story about our building.

As the story goes, before our current building was ever in existence, it was the site of a hospital.  And, like what happens at all hospitals, people died in it.  After the hospital was gone, a new building was put up and then businesses came.  LeChard Hair claimed their business didn't do well here because of the hospital and the bowling alley on the above floor appears to have just got up and left because it was spooked.  I argue it that LeChard did do well and the bowling alley people were just lazy.  They both chose to leave because Cheonan city had labelled a new area of town as downtown so ya, they had a drop in business cash flow.  

My explanation for the sudden strange situations at Hulk's has nothing to do with a ghost but perhaps a homeless person that has somehow broken into our building.  I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a homeless person because I don't particularly believe in ghosts but I do believe in lost souls and negative energy.  A few months ago a friend of mine witnessed a young guy committing suicide from the top floor of Sambu -- the local office-style apartment building I used to live in -- and ever since then I've tried to avoid that building.  The Sunday morning breakfast club I attend meets in Sambu and I feel like I have to hold my breath every time I get off the elevator.  

The plan now is to get together some of my K-Crew boys, make sure the batteries to our head lamps are full, and then wait for T-Boy's call.  We told him to call us the next time he hears or feels anything strange going on at Hulk's and we'll show up, ready to search the entire abandoned building with our K-Crew for whatever or whomever is there.  

Later in the evening, around midnight, I seriously thought I was about to receive the call.  I had tuned into the club's security cameras and then suddenly three out of the four of them went black on my screen.  It seriously freaked the heck out of me.  Turns out T-Boy accidentally had switched them off, thinking their switches were to the club front lights... hahahahaha.

No comments: