As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Just to Clear Things Up... Thursday, April 17

It kind of hit me today, the fact that Hulk's will soon be more home and I'll be giving up my current home so that I can save up and pursue a future home.  I was sitting in the Hulk's front window with the floor plan in front of me, trying to digest and wrap my head around it all.  I know it's really no big deal for Koreans, many business owners do this all the time -- many business owners live in their own shops -- Korean business owners that is.  I found much relief in knowing my friend down in Busan also was living out of her boxing club with her husband.  She obviously understands but I suspect our move into our club will be met with disagreeing opinions and a lack of understanding by many.
So, to clear up some misunderstanding, ...
NO, we're not moving into Hulk's because of a lack of money or the need to cut costs.
NO, times are NOT tough at Hulk's, business is very good.
NO, we're not getting kicked out of our house or anything like that; our landlord happens to love us AND our four-legged family members.
So if business is good,money isn't tight, and three four-legged family members aren't the problem, then why are we moving into Hulk's you ask.  Well, we're moving into Hulk's because of the following reasons:
  1. Our current apartment was never meant to be a long-time home.  It was actually just a temporary band aid.  If you recall why we even moved into this house, it was because we had basically one day to find a new place and move because of a failed earlier arrangement with another apartment.
  2. Our plan is to buy a home and continuing renting an apartment is equivalent to throwing away money that we could be saving for our house.
  3. Our needs get priority over our wants and cashing in on our key deposit from our current apartment so that we could purchase some much anticipated, much needed air conditioners/heaters faster than having to save up means our club needs will be met.
  4. Our large 12 room apartment has more or less become just a place for our four-legged friends and us to sleep so it's become more of a luxury, an added expense and an additional thing that both eats up our cash as it does our effort and time.
  5. Why not?!

So the move is basically because it'll help us save up money for our future house and meet the needs of needing to buy air conditioners/heaters and providing the money to do so via the return of our key deposit.

Still don't understand?  That's ok.  It's really not for you to understand in that it's not your dream or your journey.  I know full well many of my friends and family back in Canada will not understand and frown their eyebrows at me but I also know a lot of my friends here (Korea) will totally understand as many of them already have noted they're shocked I have both a club and home to manage.  But it's my life.  I'm simply relaying what's already been digested and decided upon in my head so I'm not asking for permission or approval, that's surely not needed.  I'm a big girl and I've been doing quite alright as it is.  I haven't fully accepted the idea that we're moving let alone moving into Hulk's but I have to remind myself to look at the big picture.  This time a year ago I was ankle-high in people poop, doing renovations in an abandoned building we now run Hulk's out of.  So if that was where I was a year ago, I wonder where I'll be a year from now.

No comments: