As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Oh the Things I'd Say if Only They Got my Sarcasm... Monday, April 21

For the simple fact that I am always finding humour at the club, strange situations that leave me giggling and shaking my head, I typed out a list of sarcastic signs for Hulk's.  I love my Hulkies, don't get me wrong, they are what makes my job so incredibly rewarding but sometimes they leave me scratching my head and sarcastically joking off the situation at hand. 

Sarcastically silly signs for Hulk's:

Doors have been placed on each individual stall because they are meant to be used -- no one wants to see you pee and surely no one wants to see you poop.

A urinal is no different than a toilet stall in that it too has a door. Please use it.

Just because there's no 'hockey puck' in the urinal to pee on doesn't mean pee on the floor.  There's no puck there either.
 
A locker room is for lockers and a change room is for changing.

Just because the distance between the guy's shower room and the change room is short, it doesn't stop your naked bum from being reflected all over the club via our overdose of mirrors.

Day lockers are for day use, please don't stash your stuff in it unless you want it thrown out or taken by someone else or, as in the case of the stashed panties, want them embarrassingly hung up for all to see.

Just because the day lockers are cleaned out every night does not mean throw your used dirty gym clothing in it for us to clean.

Yes, despite popular belief, we DO have a bathroom sink.  It's located in the bathroom.

Please feel free to use that rectangular thing when washing your hands.  It's not decoration; it's called soap. 

A mandatory hand-sniff may come into effect if we go another few months with the same bar of soap.

No smoking in the bathroom unless you can afford replacing our entire eight floor abandoned building and all that's in it.

An excess of shelves for our boxing gloves means an excess of space for them. Please refrain from stocking more than two pairs per shelf or I'll use the extra pair to knock some common sense into you.

This sign "employees only" means only those that work here, not those who workout here, are allowed.

Blood clots, bones heal, and bruises fade, don't be so afraid of stepping into the ring to spar. 
 
Please wear your injuries as "badges of honor", not everyone is tough enough to step in the ring.

Skipping is NOT just for kids, that is unless it's kids who are worried about cellulite and want perky backsides.

Please wear training clothes that you can actually train in and not just look cute in.

Showing up past the common curticy cut-off time (45mins before closing) almost guarantees you two things: you'll be forced to do burpees and Snickers is going to scare you in the shower by screaming at you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, a bar of soap is really gross. I wouldn't touch it either. I mean, who knows where the hands before mine have been (no, wait, I DO know where they've been... GROSS!) - Might have better luck with liquid soap!