As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Being a Coach Kicks Being a Parent... Thursday, July 31

I made it to the end of the day.  It's a Thursday and like all other Thursdays it means my body is now running on close to empty.  Perhaps the pain days prior in this week are what's pushing me to get to tomorrow because I know tomorrow my body will finally get a rest.  It's always go-go-go from Monday to Thursday and though that's only four days, it's four wickedly packed days of what feels like non-stop training, sweaty and running around the club helping this member and doing this and that random thing.  Tomorrow it Free Train Friday which means I'll get to catch up on office work.  I plan on using it to study though -- macro nutrients and nutrition.

I thought I was a smarty pants by lining the start of my training each day with the start of work but with the mini Hulkies arriving right at the end of my training, it's proven to be very gruelling.  I end up staying in my sweaty clothes from the start of my training at 2:20pm till about 6pm, almost 4 hours.  I am beyond wondering who the smelliest one is or who is soaking up the club floor because I know it's me in both situations.  

My mini Hulkies, the best.  They train hard, don't question anything I tell them to do and they always try hard to impress me for that extra high five or pat to the tush.  They're awesome, the best, but they're also the best reminder to me that I do not want children.  Their energy just has no ends and I can only keep up with them for a solid hour and a half before my eyes start wondering towards the clock, calculating just how long they've been with me at Hulk's.  I vouch coaching children is way better than having my own.  I get them after someone else has had to spend their hard earned cash to feed and clothe them, when they're well awake and full of energy.  They have fun with me and so often they do club chores with me or help me with work, like posting up club signs.  I often give them snackies but I really don't have to feed them, heck I don't even have to play any of their games if I don't want to but I do.  And then they go home tired, sweaty and hungry -- to someone else who then has to feed them, shower them, and then wash their clothes.  Essentially, I get paid to play with them when they're wide awake and full of energy at the expense of someone else who has to not only pay for their gym membership but also all the necessities and extras that come with parenting a child.  I basically am a paid guardian, or so it feels like.  Sure beats being the paying parent if you ask me and I fully intend of continuing this role and not switching to the other side.  


No comments: