As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Down to the Last Drop of Energy... Monday, July 28

The complete contrast between yesterday and today pretty much kicked my butt and left me at the end of the day feeling almost punch-drunk.  Mondays always kick our butts but today was an exceptionally big kick to the butt because of having overdosed on rest and relaxation yesterday. 

Today's crossfit classes focused on upper body.  I think today perhaps I pushed myself a bit too far considering the number of rounds I did on the sandbag before participating in the first class.  I don't technically start working till about 4:30/5pm because of my own training that I start around 2:20pm.  These days I've been starting my training with some treadmill running, then shadow boxing, sandbag, and then crossfit.  In between my boxing rounds I ad leg work and ab work.  It's a perk of the job, being able to integrate my workout with training members and I really do enjoy kicking off the first crossfit class of the day with me actually being a participant among them.  

Registered a new member today, a 6 year old boy who does everything and anything I tell him if I smile and cheer him on... too funny and too cute.  He's been at Hulk's before, just to visit and come talk to us with his friends but today he actually registered.  I now have another mini-Hulkie and he's just such a cutie.  Some of our other mini Hulkies are now regular Hulkies, meaning that they're no longer under 16 but I still primarily train them.  I'm more or less the coach to all the mini Hulkies, so they report to me and I tell them what training they're doing everyday.  It also means I then have to report back to their parents with updates and sometimes I have to walk few home.  Our mini Hulkie population is now 18 with today's addition of this adorable 6 year old.  Most of our Hulkies are university age and/or in their 20's.  We've had an increase in the above 30's crowd, with us now having about 9 members above the age of 30, but our Hulk family is still very much a young vibrant population.  It's funny to think that I am one of the oldest training here -- I'm even older than Snickers, as many of you know, by 4 years.  

The end of the work day came with a surprise visit from out-of-town friends -- friends from Seoul who drove to Cheonan.  I was pretty much running on empty but some flattery from my pro hair designer friend over my "big chop of 2013" gave me a bit of a second wind.  Next thing I knew it, a roof top BBQ at Mouse Doctor's house was being arranged and so some of them left the club to go shopping for meat and side dishes.  That's one of the pure bonuses of having the friends that I do.  Most of them are either fellow pro athletes, so I know I'll eat very well if I'm with them, or they're fellow entrepreneurs and business owners, so I know their schedules and sleeping patterns are off the wall like mine.  At tonight's rooftop BBQ, there were six entrepreneurs present, half of which also sport the label of professional athlete.

No comments: