As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Adding to the List of Things to Pay... Friday, September 19

Yesterday we got slapped with a $200 file for forgetting to put our garbage in one of the yellow garbage bags, a situation we've done one too many times to be able to say we forgot to do it just this once.  This wasn't the first fine we've ever got though but it was the first for the garbage.

We've been fined before for placing our parking concrete blocks too far into the street, a means of avoiding those Pesky Parkers which, as the fine clearly proves, only meant they had the last laugh.  Yesterday's $200 fine wasn't the largest of fines we've been hit with, Snickers being fined for punching the bus while we were on our club camping trip was, but we decided to fight it.  So today we headed to the government office up the street.  And while yesterday's government official who clearly didn't like us and wasn't shy in making a big scene in the middle of the club during club hours, his coworkers all do.  Walked into the government office and were greeted with smiles, a couple of workers greeting us with "Hi, Hulk's Boxing!" and a few hand shakes.  I'll admit that Snickers and I are a bit of trouble makers but that doesn't mean we're not trying hard to be successful and help build up the community around us.  I think our surrounding area really likes us and we like them, consequently, we managed to get yesterday's fine chopped in half and even scored a free coffee out of the deal, nice.  None the less, it's just another thing to pay.

And speaking of random expenses eating our money, one of the rowing machines needs its foot holders replaced.  Foot holders are pretty self explanatory -- they hold your feet in place while you use the machine -- but the mixture of excessive use our rowing machines experience with the foot holders being plastic causes them much stress and consequently they break.  We've only had to replace them a couple of times but it's quite the nonsense having to go through the seller to order them.  The past couple of days Snickers and I have been trying to come up with our own creative apparatus to replace the old foot holders, a task that started off as somewhat fun but that's escalated to me picking my brain at night and running out of ideas.  We came up with the idea to design and then get a shop nearby to make metal ones.  We'd put a simple padding around the ankle for added comfort and they'd last a long time.  Found out that yes, they'd last a long time, but that they'd come with a price tag of $300 for four foot holders... ouch.  

Today I bought a BMX bike off someone in Seoul.  It was either buy a bike or get another scooter.  I figured getting another scooter would mean more added-on expenses, like gas, maintenance and little upgrades I'd probably do, and I figured it'd lead me to continue my scooter racing around town too.  I was way too comfortable riding on Gangsta Gotti and I've had one too many close calls.  Whether it was racing through red lights, driving on the sidewalk, or making up silly excuses for why I didn't need to wear my helmet that day, I figured I had to lay off the scooter riding for a bit.  I don't really need an additional means around town, we've got a car, but the BMX bike is more so a means of getting up and getting out of the club.  Cruising around for just the sake of not always staying in.

Things don't come cheap and they especially don't come cheap when you're running a business that constantly has a flow of things to repair, replace, add and, as in the case of the garbage, lose too.  

No comments: