As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Brutal Chain of Events but Still Loving Mondays Regardless... Monday, September 29

We're huge fans of Mondays here at Hulk's because with Monday comes the typical guilt many weekend-indulgers feel. Consequently, Mondays at Hulk's are flooded with new visitors wanting to become Hulkies and current Hulkies all trying to back step on their weekend indulgence and jump into training.

Today I wasn't a fan of this particular Monday from the very start on account of the following chain of events that happened:

1. Slept in --> missed my morning run --> in addition to having to run Tuesday and Thursday, I'll now have to run on Wednesday so that I get my short runs in before the weekend. --> Had to cancel my Wednesday early morning meeting. --> Rescheduled my meeting for Friday, my holiday. 

2. Started cleaning the club 20 minutes late. --> Haste makes waste, consequently our vacuum cleaner head snapped off. -> Had to resort to using our old house vacuum and, well, with our padding flooring it means you can only vacuum in one direction. --> Holy frustrations!!! --> Today's cleaning took a solid two hours. --> Had to phone the vacuum company to enquire. --> More money out, this time for a replacement vacuum head. --> Snickers left the club to go to the bank and wire the money, leaving me here alone. --> Had to deal with a Pesky Parker who tried to drive away after hitting a neighbour's car. --> 

3. Instead of shutting up and just accepting his instructions, I sarcastically spoke out during boxing. --> Snickers got angry. --> He made me jump around the boxing club, to stress his point about proper footwork. --> I got super frustrated. --> Rolled my ankle. --> Sat in the bathroom stall and cried a few tears. --> Waited till Snickers came and got me but by then one of our Hulkies had noticed I had been in there for a while and suggested maybe I was sick. --> Being asked if I was having "morning sickness", meaning if I was pregnant, was totally unexpected. --> Tried to laugh it off but then was told, "I think you have gained a bit of weight." ...what?! 

Actually, I've lost about 2kgs thank you very much but there you have it, it was a rough Monday from the get-go. And while I've never been one to slam Mondays and jump on the I-hate-Mondays bandwagon, perhaps a short run on it was only fitting for today considering. Thankfully by about 6pm it got a whole lot better. Between 6-8pm we had 31 Hulkies for Snickers and I to juggle between the two of us and 31 Hulkies, well what's there to be really grumpy about?! Exactly. Business is going great but today started off rough but it ended on a much higher note.

The highest note of my day, beyond being super proud of our packed club that is, was when the father to one of our mini Hulkies came to talk to Snickers about his son.  Originally when his son first started training at Hulk's, his parents had asked if I could record their son's arrival and departure time from training.  He now has been training with us for over 6 months and for 6 months I have faithfully recorded his time and reported back to his parents.  Tonight his father came to thank us and to tell us what a difference we've made in him, not just physically but with his confidence.  His son is a particular favourite of mine whom I consider myself quite comfortable with, so much so that I don't even think twice about giving him the occasional whack on the tush or side hug.  His father says he talks about me all the time at home so he came tonight to thank me and to ask if I could help encourage him to study harder with his school subjects.  He says his son used to have no real passion or focus but now he's all about his boxing and his crossfit coach.  I was quite flattered by it all and of course I'll try to encourage him.  He's a great mini Hulkie and I've only known him to be very well-mannered and faithful to training hard with me.  Getting news of all this from his father definitely helped to erase the brutal chain of events that kicked off this Monday morning... as did indulging in my secret stash of Reese' peanut butter cups... hahaha.

No comments: