As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight Day is Officially Set... Tuesday, September 30

At exactly 12:58pm I signed for my next fight.

Thailand, October 17th. 
6 rounds at 50kgs.
16 days till fight day.
9 days until I leave Korea for Thailand.

With such short notice it's a lot to take it but I'm excited.  My Busan champion buddy set the fight up for me and by that I mean he got my name on the fight card.  I don't actually yet have an opponent, a fact of the matter that is rather nerve racking.  And it wasn't until after my final conversation with my Busan buddy, long after midnight, that I figured things out -- he's fighting too.  I was told at his last fight that that particular fight was his last, he was retiring.  Is he fighting because of me?  Is that the deal he threw Thailand -- get Amy a fight and he'd fight too, to help with the ratings and hype of the event?  I really don't know but I was surprised when I read on his Kakao Story that he too signed for a fight, same date, same tournament.  

I don't even have a double digit amount of days to get in as much training as I can with Snickers and soak up as much pointers he has to throw at me.  He won't be coming with me to Thailand.  He'll be managing Hulk's by himself and instead of hiring a part timer to deal with my crossfit classes, we're simply telling members that there will be no crossfit for the period I am away.

I'll be flying solo on this fight -- no corner coach.

My Busan buddy wants to head to Thailand early because of some boxing business he wants to take care of and of which I think I'll be acting as some kind of interpreter for.  I definitely don't mind helping him out but I really don't care to go down so early.  "Have fun and do some travelling there", Snickers told me but how can I have fun and even think about travelling when I've got a fight.  My mind will be 24/7 boxing from here on out, as if it weren't already consumed with it that is.  I don't want to go and have fun or travel, I want to go in and get out.  If it were up to me, I'd arrive the day before weigh-in and leave the same day of my fight -- 3 days.  

I have about 5kgs to lose, to make myself a bit underweight for the set 50kgs weight requirement.  Snickers wants me to get down to 51kgs by this weekend and stay there for a full day before I even leave Korea.  The plan then is to cut mad weight quickly and then allow myself to bounce up in weight a bit right before weigh-in day.  There's not many days to plan around with my weight and despite having a plan, I totally suspect I'll be pushing it in the last couple of days.  The max I've ever lost before was 4kgs in a week so I'm good to go if needs be.

With only 16 days until my fight and no opponent yet set, I already must be driving my Busan buddy bonkers with my constant text messages, reminding him to let me know her name as soon as he knows.  Between Snickers and I, he must have called and text messaged us about a zillion times today and for each time we talked I asked him if he knew her name yet.  Am curious to look her stats up.

For the next 16 days I'll be waking up with butterflies in my tummy, both nervous and excited that I'm one day closer to fight day.  There will be no more days off training for me until weigh-in day so my training will be extra hard and extra long from here on out.  And every night I'll go to bed and dissect my training, pondering whether or not I tried my best and what did I learn or improve on that day.  I know I already think too much but now with a set day, my over thinking is all that more amplified.  It's a strange thing, to be doing something that you love, something that both drives you absolutely wild with excitement but keeps you up at night with such a feeling of pure anxiety.  

No comments: