As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Plans in the Making... Monday, September 1

It's only the first day of September and already I'm thinking about October.  October is by far my favourite month.  I have big plans for this October.  My plans include trying to schedule in a pro fight for myself, flying off to Canada, and launching a bi-monthly event for our Hulkies.

Have you ever watched the Korean TV show "Dream Team" or the American show "American Gladiators"?  Well, I'm planning to do something along that lines.  I want to put together a massive club-sized obstacles course for members to participate in.  I'm thinking that I'd have them either make their own teams of three or sign up and do a random draw of names to appoint who is in whose team.  If I had them make their own teams, I could extend the invitation to participate to those who are not in-club members but friends of our members.  It'd not only give their friends a chance to see our club and see what we're about but it'd also be great publicity for Hulk's.  If I go this route, the rule would be that friends of members participating would have to join our Hulk Facebook group page and their captain would have to be our member -- seems pretty simple enough.

The obstacle course would be a timed circuit, consisting of various exercises and tasks for them to participate, one member after another.  Surely we have enough resources, like kettlebells, dumbells and even two different tire sizes, to make it team-appropriate.  I haven't yet figured out the prize but I was thinking that perhaps I could turn this into a social event afterward, with us all going out to dinner and the winning team gets dinner on the house.  I'd make additional prizes too, like for the team with the best team spirit or the second place team.  It really would depend on how many teams participate though.

I'm optimistic about this event and hope I can pull it off.  It's still very much in the brainstorming stage but I think our members would go for it.  Today I posed the 100s Challenge for them and they were a lot more energetic about it than I originally anticipated.  We have a great crew of members, an awesome crew actually, so I think they'd really kick butt in this obstacle course.

No comments: