As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, December 19, 2014

Today's Challenges... Friday, December 19

It was yet another Free Train Friday at Hulk's today which doesn't mean it was a day free of stress however.  Oh there's always something to rattle my brain about, jump on my nerves and leave me shaking my head.  "Challenges", I tell myself, "it's not stress, they're merely challenges".  And challenges they definitely are and are definitely many.  They come with the job.

Today's first challenge came when I realized I hadn't checked the bathroom tap during the night.  Solution to this challenge consisted of sitting on the floor with a hair dryer and blowing on it till it worked.  Not fun but it did the job.  Challenge conquered. 

Challenge #2 was actually a walking, talking, 2-legged challenge -- a member who seems to think his age overrides our authority as manager and club owner.  This particular member isn't a bad person by any means and it's not that I don't like him.  It has nothing to do with personal opinion, it's merely business and from a business perspective I definitely don't agree with him.  I don't appreciate him trying to call the shots with his membership fee and disrespecting us and the other members by doing so.  I really try to do things fair at Hulk's and if anyone is going to get favours and discounts than it'd be loyal, long-standing members.  Anyways, he arrived for training right when I was about to train so I held off, hoping to confront him about his due membership fees.  I waited over an hour and then, right as I dashed in my bedroom to get something, he snuck out.  So now apparently this "challenge" has been extended to Monday, great.  He'll be back on Monday but if he doesn't want to play by my rules then he will also be gone by Monday too.  Don't come into my club and disrespect us, our club and its' members.  That's not cool.  I may not be rolling in the money but I'll take doing what's right for our club over doing what gets me the extra buck any day.  

When Snickers heard about Challenge #2 sneaking out the front door, he wasn't impressed and he knew I wasn't either, so he showed up with a surprise cappacino with extra shot for me!!! Coffee makes everything seem better.

Challenge #3, if I'd even call it a challenge, is trying to figure out what to do for Christmas.  We're closed this upcoming week for Wednesday (Christmas Eve), Thursday (Christmas) and Friday -- three days.  And with us being closed on the weekends, this means we'll have a five day holiday.  However, with me having a fight schedule so shortly after the new year and needing to not only continue my intense training but also continue to cut weight, this break in routine won't help me.  I can't exactly indulge during the holidays, kick back and relax.  As it stands, our plans are to go out for dinner with our main sponsor and then to his church's Christmas Eve service.  Christmas will probably consist of us sleeping in and then checking out a cute coffee shop... maybe some Christmas evening training?!  By Friday I'll be back to full training mode, with a long run scheduled for Saturday as well as Free Train maybe on both that Saturday and Sunday.  

Challenge #4 is planning New Year's Eve.  Again, just like with this Christmas, perhaps more so because it'll be closing to my fight date, I'll have to restrain myself.  Still training hard and cutting weight so letting loose and simply eating out comes with a price to pay with my fight being a couple of weeks after New Year's Eve.  The plan is to get as close as I can to fight weight for New Year's Eve so that I can let it go up without worrying so much about continually making it go down.  I can recover from a small hiccup in cutting weight.  As for what we want to do, it's looking like a private club party.  Originally I wanted it to be a sleepover.  This would mean an instance peace of mind with not worrying over drinking party goers driving home.  However, having members simply sleeping over may mean them not exactly going home shortly after waking up.  I fully intend on training hardcore on New Year's day as well as celebrating in a little tradition that Snickers and I always share together.  Every New Year's day we always head out to a coffee shop to write out our New Year's resolution/bucket list, and though we know full well we will probably not get them all done, it's simply nice to dream big about the new year and share our hopes for it.  

No comments: