As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, January 26, 2015

If I Ever Worked Again in Canada... Monday, January 26

I had decided yesterday in my mishap with my actual anniversary day that not only was I going to publicy acknowledge it today but that tomorrow we will be taking the day off to celebrate it.

Five years married, woozers.  If you had told me six years ago that little Polish me would be getting married to a man I would only date for about seven months, I would have told that you're off your rocker.  But here I am, married... and perhaps it's me now that is off my rocker...hahaha.

I feel too young to be married, to tell you the truth.  And when I look at the Facebook pages of many of my married friends in Canada who have the house, the car, the kids, and the steady job, I definitely feel like I've missed the boat somewhere.  I mean, they just seem so mature, so grown up, and yet here I am playing with a BB gun during work and laughing at my husband here as he makes faces at me from across the club floor.  

I got into a conversation about this with Snickers today when he asked me if I'd ever want to move back to Canada.  I do want to go to Canada, I mean I don't think Korea is good to its elders.  There's no real old age security and senior citizens are more less expected to be taken care of by their children.  Perhaps that's the push to have kids.  Not so that you grow up alone but instead so that you don't grow up and end up on the streets.  I don't know what I'd do for work though if I moved back to Canada.  Snickers has this food truck dream of his but I don't know if I'm keen on cooking the same thing day in and day out everyday.  Food really isn't my passion.  

If I could do any job I wanted to in Canada, Snickers asked me, and money wasn't an issue nor was anything else an issue like education or whatnot, what would I want to do?  I'd want to become a firefighter.  Three men in my family have all become firefighters and I've always thought it was a respectable position, I mean, who doesn't love a firefighter?!  Exactly.  The adrenaline rush of a fire isn't what interests me so much as it being a job that is physically demanding.  I'm assuming here that I could never become a firefighter because in addition to being too short, I'm also way too small.  I'm strong but I'm definitely a shorty and that is probably an issue due to the physical demands of having to lift the hefty fire hose and carry people to safety.  Moreover, your job is all about helping and protecting people and I think that's a pretty awesome enough reason why to pick such a career.  Snickers thinks I just want to be a firefighter so that I can fly down the fire hose in the fire house... bwahahaha...that'd be cool but no.  That's just a bonus, well that and blasting the horn on the truck.  Both are equally fun bonuses.  

No comments: