As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Thank God I Never Settled!!!... Tuesday, January 27

...and then there are days like today when I wouldn't want my life any other way or to be shared with any other person!!!

Taking the day off just to focus on us as a married couple and to give "us" 100% undivided attention was perfect; it was just what we needed.  However, this is not to say that we didn't phone in to Hulk's to ask Kato about who had trained today, if the club was ok and if the pups were behaving.  We did check in but it was inevitable that we would do so after all Hulk's is our baby, its members are our Hulk family and our pups...well... they are just too special to us for words.

Today we had headed into Seoul to celebrate our fifth year wedding anniversary and it was the first day in a long time where we didn't have other business-related things to do like supplies to pick up, sponsors to meet up with, or any personal training members to check in with.  Even our weekends, when the club is technically closed, there is always work to do and many times we open for Free Train.  But today, it was a day all about us, for us.

My favourite part of the entire anniversary date wasn't the silly moments at the aquarium or being spoiled rotten at the oriental spa, instead it was the walk around the traditional village and the conversation that we shared as we froze our butts off walking around.  Snickers said I looked so happy because I sported a grin that stretched from ear to ear but I argued my face had become frozen like that...hahaha. I had brought a second jacket with me so I changed into that but Snickers only had on a long sleeve dress top and a winter vest so I wrapped my arms around him.  We kept snuggled together as we walked around the village like one big blob of a person.  The wind was chilly but being so snug together was so nice.  The walk around the village lead to us checking out some trendy streets and then totally stumbling onto a super tiny steakhouse.  At this point my frozen toes were craving some heat, any heat actually, so we decided to deck into the restaurant.  One glass of wine later and instantly we were feeling toasty again and acting like run away teenage lovers -- being super giddy, holding hands across the table, winking at each other, and doing all those PDA things that make most people want to gag and others yell "get a room".

We were in love -- we are in love -- and it definitely showed as we kicked up our heels today and left the stress of running a business behind us. 

We've been married for five years now and though we don't have any kids to "vouch" for it we have collected 3 four-legged friends along the way and have created one big baby together -- Hulk's.  Our relationship is great but we'd be lying if we said it wasn't work and that it didn't have its downs and its ups.  We are so different in so many ways but we've always tried to view such differences to be the spice in our relationship as opposed to difficulties or obstacles.  We never have been a normal couple, even from the start.  We didn't even so much as have the luxury of being able to talk on the phone together when we first dated because he didn't speak a lick of English and I wasn't confident enough with my Korean to do so.  So while most couples chatted away the hours, we texted and used our translators.  Of course now we are able to chat on the phone but we still only text in Korean because Snickers is still super rough with reading and writing in English.

We are married now.  He is mine and I am his.

I married the man I thought I couldn't live with out, the man who made me believe in destiny, love at first sight, butterflies in the tummy -- all those gushy things I believed only existed in movies and cheesy romance novels old married housewives read.  And when I think of our love story and how two people from two different corners of the world, speaking totally different languages and living completely different lives happened to meet, fall in love and create this awesome life together, I think our romance story is pretty damn awesome.

No comments: