As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Plan was Never to be JUST a Boxing Club... Thursday, February 26

I have a dream.  I dream of a boxing club where my members can train, eat and sleep all in one place -- at our club -- and this dream will become my reality when Phase 2 happens.

We already have a juice bar in our club and its menu has definitely expanded with it now not only offering various imported health snacks but also cooked items that are cooked fresh when ordered.  One of our more popular new items has been the Open Faced Sandwich, a one-dish full meal that's as perfect for after training as it is for your taste buds.  We also offer fresh coffee too.  Members aren't ignorant to what kind of food and dishes I eat, they see me eating all the time and many have taste tested my dishes too.  The other day I made a simple dish of grilled seasoned chicken, wild rice and broccoli and it caught the attention of several members.  Today I cooked that same dish up for four different members and charged them a small fee.  I'm thinking about adding it to our menu or offering a kind of "dish of the day" option to our menu.

In Phase 2, the plan is to expand our juice bar and eventually hire a cook.  We will need the cook because we'll be having a live-in full time coach and a part time trainer working for us, so the cook will be responsible for feeding them as well as cooking any additional menu options we may offer.  I'd love to have a post training meal option for members to buy if they want because it's very frustrating to continually stress the importance of food and see members doing nothing with what I've told them.  I think they know but they just don't do.  Perfect case in point with the importance of food to accompany hard training concerns the story of two female Hulkies we train here.  I'll refer to them as Girl A and Girl B.  


Both girls train super hard and both do boxing and crossfit.  Snickers trains them hard with boxing and then I push them extra hard with crossfit, picking their weights for them and picking super heavy ones too as supposed to letting them decide.  They're roughly the same age and same build but what separates them in their road to stronger health is their clean eating.

Girl A is quite the social butterfly at Hulk's and lives far away so when she comes to train she also comes to catch up with friends/fellow Hulkies before she takes the long hike home.  Girl B is Girl A's opposite though in that she is very quite and leaves immediately after training.  We chit chat during training but she's very focused.  She doesn't even so much as shower after working out, she just grabs her coat and leaves.  I sat down with both girls, back when I first met then and then other times too, to talk to them about the importance of breakfast and their post training meal.  Both girls had been eating relatively well already but both were inconsistent with getting in a breakfast and both believed that because they wanted to lose weight that they shouldn't eat after training. I convinced them to scrap that idea.

Girl B said she'd do anything and everything I tell her with regards to getting stronger, becoming healthier and dropping body fat.  Her body fat percentage was at an acceptable level but she wanted to really tone up and lose some.  So I got her to eat more, commit to a full breakfast and post training meal, and I've been training her hard.

The success Girl A has had in 6 months, Girl B has almost acquired in one month, proving just how important food is.  Of course there could be other factors at play here like stress, sleeping patterns and whatnot but I find it hard to believe that a big part of it wasn't from food alone.  Girl A still doesn't eat after training, she waits till she takes the long bus ride home and then eats much later.  She's frustrated and she was even more frustrated when she noted Girl B's success.  I'm frustrated too. Perhaps I am the most frustrated here because I want her to succeed and I know both Snickers and I push her so hard at training but she's constantly ignoring my advice about food.  I by no means have the perfect body, there isn't such a thing, but I've learned many things through making stupid and time-consuming mistakes and so I rather she just learn from my mistakes than continue the frustration.  "Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results", I told her, "so stop being crazy and try my advice if even just for a few weeks".  

No comments: