As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 02, 2015

Addicted to the Mean Greens... Monday, March 2

My name is Amy and I'm a broccoli-holic. This definitely goes hand-in-hand with hi my name is Amy and I'm bloooooated so there you have it, I admitted it, so now I'd like to reintroduce myself. 

Hello, my name is Amy and I am a broccoli-junkie in recovery.

My addition with broccoli started about a month and a half ago, when I discovered a post-training one-dish wonder that had it all and that I instantly fell in love with -- a post-training meal that had protein, clean starchy carbs and fibrous carbs too.  And then my passion for this green power veggie just escaladed.  No longer was I just included broccoli into my post-training meal but then I was adding it into my evening omlette and even snacking on it raw late into the night.  It's got so bad that my fridge no longer has enough room for my broccoli plus our other food so I send Snickers to the grocery store every few days to hook me up and feed my broccoli addiction.  And what was once a half a broccoli every other day is now a two to two and a half head of broccoli a day.

I'm on doctor's orders to stop eating so much broccoli, what an ironic problem to have, because of what it's doing to my system and leaving me feeling.  I'm retaining water like a camel!!!  

I approached a doctor-friend about feeling so overly bloated these days.  I told him that I've been feeling exceptionally bloated these days and felt full even when I knew I hadn't eaten much so I've been forcing myself to eat.  I felt so bloated the other week that I just didn't eat for a day and a half.  I woke up, ate my oatmeal bake for my breakfast and then that was it with regards to food I ate until the next day after my boxing.  Between breakfast and the next day's lunch, I had gone on a morning run and did both boxing and weight training on both days.  My doctor-friend concluded that it must be the broccoli because it's really the only thing I have changed in my clean eating but it was a big change, as I mentioned above with the drastic increase in how much of it I've been eating.  My addiction to broccoli has taken it's toll on my body as broccoli is apparently one of the top foods to cause bloating and bloating is definitely what I feel 24/7 these days.  So for the next little while I've been told to limit myself to no more than half a broccoli head a day.

Today I had my monthly InBody check and the results left us all shocked. "Blame the broccoli", I said.
My muscle mass is the most I've ever sported -- 48%.
With the exception of the week following my fight in Thailand (when I was extremely stressed), my body fat is the lowest is has ever been in my life -- 13.2%.
My fitness score is the highest it has ever been -- 90.
....But now I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life -- 57.8kgs.
I should note here that I am usually around 53kgs and I really don't care what my weight is but this past week month I put on about 4kgs...  4kgs of what though?!  I dropped body fat, went from 15.4% to 13.2%, and ya my muscle weight went up but it's my water weight that really went up.  Not to mention the constant feeling of being bloated.  According to my InBody results, I scored well above average in terms of how much water weight I am carrying but beyond the water I drank on Saturday after I puked during running, I really haven't drank much water these days.  "You are beyond bloated", he told me. "Yes, uncomfortably bloated", I responded. 

No comments: