As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, March 01, 2015

It's All Sports, It's All Spectacular... it's SpoEx 2015!!!


Attending SpoEx 2015 and it was f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!!! It was a fitness freak's Heaven!
When we entered the first hall, we were greeted with posh, over-the-top campers and trucks.
The expo was all about sports.  It had 4 different halls and in one of them Snickers' love for bike riding was fed with an overdose of sweet rides and awesome ways to make your already-bought-bike part of a friendly competition.
There was a lot of hype about wall climbing and numerous wall climbing teams from around Korea had shown up to show their skills and wow the crowd.
New trendy items and trendy new forms of exercise stole the spotlight in one hall.
I don't know about treadmill aerobics but props to the pole dancing exhibit crew.  Lifting your body weight isn't exactly an easy thing.  I try it every day with pull-ups and I'm only up to 19 now.
 Life Fitness did an excellent demonstration on how to take a simple piece of gym equipment and make it more versitile with suspension ropes and then they showed medicine ball and kettlebell partner partner and group exercises.  I never thought about a full group exercise before.
 I watched a fun demonstration of what I considered very similar to my boxercise class and then I checked out a pretty cool boxing competition game.
 Wow scored a free neck massage while others did God-knows-what with eye masks.  Still have no idea what that was about, even after they tried to explain it to me...hahaha.
 One exhibitor showcased all-wood pieces of equipment, like a rowing machine that used water.  I thought it was pretty inventive but rather too country looking for my style.
Tested out the super high-end cardio machines, like a treadmill that has a touch screen and plays a scene on the screen according to what kind of exercise you're doing.  Snickers jumped on it and set it to walk; a beach with rolling waters the started up.  It looked so real.
 Our treadmills at Hulk's are definitely ghetto compared to this pretty boys but with a price tag that could surely pay for that of a small car, I think I'll hold off on buying any of them. 
The whole exhibit was so incredibly interactive and one-to-one, not only with staff on hand at each exhibit but also with your ability to test out all the products and equipment on show.
I loved the skateboard/bicycle whereas Snickers eyed the one-wheel bicycle that had nothing but your own ability to keep yourself balanced holding it up.  Looked too tricky to me.
Wow loved the couple bicycle... hahaha.  Holy bromance in full bloom... hahaha.
And then we came along the Adidas exhibit with it's shelves full of boxing equipment looking so tempting.  I wanted to try them all!!!
I would love one of those speedbags I saw, as well as a few weighted vests.
 Wow and Snickers both were eyeing the new Adidas speed line.

No comments: