As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Just One of "Those" Days... Monday, March 30

I needed something that was more than coffee but not illegal like cocaine to deal with today.  I've never been one to dislike a Monday but if today's Monday had a face I would have punched it...repeatedly. I would have punched it so hard generations to come would have felt the impact.

Waking up after only 3 hours of sleep [sarcastic thanks to Snickers and Sharkie here] to deal with our anticipated biggest day of the entire work week, ya, I knew it would be rough.  

I kept my fingers crossed all day that K-Gere wouldn't show up or that he would at least show up when a particular Hulkie was here -- he could calm me down and happily distract me.  K-Gere now lives in Pyungtaek and, though he is one of my favourite members from Snickers' family, I've been experiencing an overdose of him.  It's been too much and consequently I very much feel suffocated these days. I mean I love ice cream but I don't want to eat it everyday!  The other day I blurted out "I thought when family moved away they stayed away", how awful am I for saying that?! Exactly but it feels like everyday he's been coming here and fiddling around with random things at the club.  He still very much acts like this is a family business to which I constantly find myself wanting to tell him that if this be the case then the family can help pay the club's bills too.  K-Gere never did show up today, huge surprise there, and that's a good thing because I am sure I would have blurted out something to get me even more strongly labelled "the rebellious one" of the family.

Mondays are for making peanut butter and I wish that was all I had to do today.  Instead, and of course, I also had to get in my boxing and weight training and then deal with several dozen members training with little to no sleep and equally little to no patience.

Today I caught one of our mini Hulkies doing probably doing something that left even me stumped for words.  I walked into the bathroom to check to see if all the stalls had toilet paper and to change the hand towel at the sink when I caught sight of a mini Hulkie washing her hands in the shower stall.  The door was wide open and I could see her standing with both shoed-feet in the stall, washing her hands.  "You know we do have a sink, right?" I asked her.  "But I like this soap", was her response.  I just stood there shaking my head.  "Get out!" was all I could mustard up.  She then stepped out of the shower stall with her sweater dripping from the water and shoes absolutely soaking wet.  I made her take off her runners and socks, then walk from the back of the club to the front to get slippers.  When I sat down at the juice bar, she then stopped and asked me "What am I going to train in now if I can't wear my running shoes?"  Did she seriously just ask me this, I thought, yes she did.  I then stood up, took one of her shoes out of her hand, hit her on the shoulder with it, then told her  "You can wear them when they dry".  

I love our Hulkies, don't get me wrong, but there are definitely moments when common sense doesn't seem so common and I feel more like a teacher of manners or a nagging mother to some of them.  Today I definitely felt like the nagging mother and found myself shaking my head and rolling my eyes one too many times.  "Yes, because standing in the shower with your runners on to wash your hands makes perfect sense. I love having wet sneakers walk through the club!"... Yup, definitely was the nagging mom today but I can't say I wasn't justified in many cases. 

No comments: