As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Frustrations Spoil the Entire Day... Friday, May 22

Today was my mother's birthday and it was supposed to be an easy going Friday.  And it was, it was until it wasn't.

At exactly 8:44pm I got a text message from one of the KBS reporters, telling me of the filming at their studio I'm to attend on Sunday.

Wait... what?! Sunday?!

Yes, that was totally news to me.  The original plan was Monday and just today they told me Sunday.  I would never have agreed to filming this Sunday.  This Sunday is Pentecost Sunday.  

There are major differences between churches here in Korea and those in Canada, more so when you consider only the churches that offer English services here.  In Korea the foreign churches are nondenominational for the most part and though I don't believe one denomination is better than the other in Canada I grew up always attending a Penticostal church.  I can't attend such a church here in Korea because there simply is none so there are many practices and whatnot that are left of the church services I do attend here, like monthly communion.  But, much to my surprise, this Sunday the church I attend is celebrating Pentecost Sunday and they're doing so with a water baptismal ceremony and BBQ afterward.  It's like my one chance to really celebrate the religious background I grew up in and experience it here in Korea.  Moreover, ever since starting this KBS filming, I've really come to realize just how much of my own culture, my own identity, has really been lost or changed because I've been living here so long.  I've really started to put a more conscious effort towards practicing what it is that makes up my identity, not only my identity as I am now but the girl I used to be.  I used to be that girl who went to church and I want to continue that but now I can't go.
 
KBS is arguing that they told me the filming was for this Sunday but I know they didn't and Snickers agrees.  I only knew this upcoming Monday was a holiday because that's the day KBS picked for the filming.  Four people told me Monday.  Those same four people told Snickers Monday.

Now it's Sunday.

And while many may say it's not a big deal, just miss church, that's fine but it is a big deal to me.  I didn't go to church last Sunday because of that awful cooking class KBS made me attend.  I ended up hugging the toilet all night instead of going to the hospital like friends urged me to.  Both Snickers and I were camped out in the bathroom.

And now this...

I was going to call my father tonight, to acknowledge my mom's birthday with him, but after numerous text messages with KBS and letting it fester in my head more, I just was too upset to do so.  I know I should be grateful of the opportunity KBS is giving me to star in a documentary but I feel like they're kind of going about planning things for us and then telling us as supposed to asking us if it fits our schedule.  They may be running a TV show but I am not some actress playing part; this is my life. 

So now it looks like I'll be changing my plans once again thanks to KBS and missing church again thanks to KBS.  Now if someone dares to tell me to have a baby at the shoot on Sunday, woozers, this won't be a documentary we'll be making because we'll be making the news -- "Professional fighter takes the fight outside of the ring.  Her opponent, the close-minded people".

There, I made a joke, not a very good one but at this point it's the best I've got.  I'm so not impressed and I don't think anyone but the poor sweet translator from KBS who has been acting like the middle person in all this will give us an honest sorry.

Tell me to have a baby, I dare ya. 

No comments: