As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Catching Up with an Old Friend and a New Friend... Sunday, June 28

So I slept in and totally missed church.. oops.  Correction, I woke up and didn't realize it'd take me longer to get there than I had time to get ready and get there so I didn't go.  

Went back to bed for some much need rest and recovery from last night.  My feet STILL hurt!

Ended up planning a little meet-up with a friend of mine but what seemed like a simple plan was quick to get complicated when she ran into traffic and I arrived at our meet-up spot -- Dundas and Yonge.

Dundas and Yonge, right smack dab in the middle of the Pride Parade, good call Amy.  Good call.  Honestly, I totally forgot all about it.  Next thing I knew it, I had about an hour to kill and was then being invited for a drink by some random girl who sought cover from the rain under my umbrella.  So I joined her; I thought nothing of it.  I was wearing a pretty feminine outfit but I guess my half shaved head gave her the impression I was into girls.  I'm all about the men thanks but I found it flattering.  It was super amusing talking with her, just us two strangers, but then it got a bit uncomfortable when she wanted to buy me another drink.  Some gay guys down on the other end of the bar saw this all go down and when she excused herself to go to the bathroom one of the guys approached me and said he'd pose as my boyfriend.  

"Take your muscles and beat her off of you... she's yuck", he said... hahaha.

I ended up paying for my own drink which meant I also ended up mistaking a $20 bill for ten dollars because of the Korean currency (our $10 bill is also green), so I tipped the bartender $13 on a $7 drink, nice.

Jetted it out of that bar and headed out to a friend's house party -- a friend from high school was in the same area.  Perfect.  Met up with her and met an apartment jammed pack with her friends.  Everyone was super friendly, as most Canadians are, and so it was a great time.  I ended up meeting this Korean girl friend of hers and it was funny to bounce around our ideas and opinions of Korea and Korean men.  She agreed with the social pressures put on Korean wives and admitted that she has no desire what so ever to marry a Korean man, very interesting...and very amusing.  

I then left the party and met up with my friend, the friend I had hours early hoped to meet up with.  It had been a very delayed meet up but once we met up it was a lot of fun.  We chatted over coffee and dinner and it was just so great to see her.  She's actually a friend of whom I have never met before but have talked to via Facebook.  Over the past year or so we've talked a lot and today was the first time we actually met each other face-to-face so that was very cool.  We had such a great time but then it came time for us to part ways.  She headed back uptown and I headed more downtown, back to my friend's house we've I'll be staying till Wednesday morning.

No comments: