As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 29, 2015

The "C" Word Again?!... Monday, June 29

On a more serious note, after a day of meeting up with friends and busting my butt at the gym, I returned to my friend's house where I've been staying and was given the inside scoop on something that was a lot more serious than I thought it was.

My friend had surgery today, to remove a tumor... to remove cancer.

I heard them, the couple that I'm staying with, wake up super early today because they had to get to the hospital early.  Last night they had told me that one of them would be having surgery today but they circled around it when I talked to them about it so I figured perhaps it either wasn't a big deal or maybe it was some kind of procedure that was a bit embarrassing.  We're close friends though, I trust and respect them so if they didn't want to say then I wasn't going to pry.  

Tonight I asked.

I arrived back at their house late and she was already in her bedroom but then she came to talk to me.  She told me that everything went well with his surgery and that he'll be out in a few days.  And that's when I asked and she told me.  It was a cancerous tumor but because it wasn't attached to any vital organs they were able to easily remove it.  They got it all.

Last time I was here in Canada, it was to deal with the loss of my mother's fight with cancer and now I'm back, back here in Canada, dealing with cancer again.  The two situations are polar opposite but it's still cancer and I went to bed a bit shock up over the situation.  I am so incredibly happy for my friend and am glad it is over for him but it touches a sensitive spot with me.  

I wish cancer was a person; I'd take them in the ring and let all my Hulkies hulk smash them!!!


No comments: