As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Canada is Good for My Health... Tuesday, July 28

It was a rough night last night which meant it was an ultra rough morning.

I don't want to get into the details of it except to say I woke up, or didn't wake up I suppose I should say, and knew without a shadow of a doubt that my expiration date with my patience in Korea has reached it's peak.  You know when you buy something like milk or yogurt and it reads "best before" a certain date but you still indulge in it after that date, well, I'm past even that extended unwritten date.  

If my heart and mind weren't already telling me to get my Polish butt out of this country and breath a little than my body is surely starting to tell me.  I already don't have a high body fat percentage but my body definitely distributes my body fat differently in Korea than it did in Canada.  The culport, stress.  I have a "stress pouch" forming and it pretty much started the day I returned to Korea.  I had it before too, before I headed off to Canada, but then I completely lost it plus so much more.  I got pretty ripped, my body held onto muscle so much better, my skin had a glow to it, and I slept like a baby.  

These days my "stress pouch" stresses me out, how ironic right?!  I still hold onto muscle but I feel run down often, my skin is dry in some areas, and sleep... well, I feel asleep around 5:40am today and then was up by 10am to do work errands.  I had puffy eyes going into the start of club hours but played it off as that was just one of the traits of being a boxer, sporting swollen eyes from yesterday's sparring.  My swollen eyes weren't from sparring.

Snickers thinks the years of pressure on me to stay a certain weight are taking it's toll and I'm crazy for thinking my body has changed since I've returned but I know it's changed.  I know my body and I know it's not the same it was just a couple of weeks ago.  Give me one week back in Canada, that's all it will take for me to loss this stress pouch and bounce back to glowing skin, sleeps-like-a-baby me.

1 comment:

Mrs. Kim said...

So I will ask because I thought you might address it in a post at some point but you haven't really gotten into it, which I suppose is your right, but how does this year away from Korea affect your marriage? I guess I don't understand. Will he be coming to visit you? Will you be visiting Korea during your year? If not, is it realistic to plan to spend a year apart from each other? Or are you guys needing a break from each other too? I understand these are personal questions, but other readers must have the same questions also, as it is post after post about your plans for Canada and such but nothing about your relationship. Just wondering.