As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Missing Them Already... Friday, July 31

It was definitely an ultra sweet gesture but definitely a not needed one, Snickers and our Hulkies throwing me a surprise Going-to-Canada party tonight.  I was very flattered, sincerely touched, but it served to remind me that leaving Korea is going to be a lot harder than most can imagine.

I love our boxing club, Hulk's Boxing.
I love our boxing club members, our Hulkies.

Tonight as we stood around nibbling on chicken and sharing drinks, we shared a lot of laughs, kind words, and a lot of advice.  Snickers gave a little speech on my behalf and then I jokingly reminded them that when I am in Canada they are not to text message me, KakaoTalk me, message me on Facebook, or call me regarding something Snickers didn't do at the club like several had done when I was recently in Canada on vacation.  One member messaged me to tell me Snickers hadn't replaced the soap in the girls shower room while another texted to tell me he wasn't keeping up with the monthly inbody check-ins.  "Please tell your concerns to Snickers," I urged them.  "I love you all and love our club but you have to help me help Snickers learn all there is to do here."

I still have a lot to teach Snickers before I leave for Canada.  Tasks ranging from the simple, like how to make a protein shake and how to do monthly inbody progress reports, to the annoying complex like how to update the membership fees due list, I'm definitely busy with preparing the club for my absence.  I'm sure our members, many of them, will be lenient with things slacking a bit while he gets better accompanied to do all the tasks he's never had to do before but I don't think it's really fair to expect them to be or them to feel obligated to be.  This is a business.  This is a place of identity for many, a place so many of our members have connected themselves to up and beyond it just being a place to exercise in but the fact of the matter is it still is a business at its core.

Tonight's surprise party was very sweet and I was so happy to see who had shown up to make their presence known and to wish me well for Canada.  It's going to be hard leaving them all and I'll think of them everyday.  I know what it was like when I was in Canada only but a few weeks ago.  I texted Snickers all the time about them because I missed them.  I'm going to miss training with those who occasionally ask to train specifically with me, our Mini Hulkies stealing my candies as they scoot out the door, our female Hulkies maxing out their reps with heavier weights, random Hulkies dropping by the club on their off days, and the list goes on and on.  I hope they miss me as much as I know I'll miss them.

No comments: