As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 01, 2015

A Double Visit to Seoul... Saturday, August 1

Headed out to Seoul today to see a good friend of mine who is also a pro boxer and boxing club coach/owner.  It was a kind of congrats-on-the-new-club/lets-celebrate-our-birthdays-together kind of meet up.  We met up for brunch and then headed over to his boxing club for me to check it out.  Back before Hulk's had started, both he and I had attended the Seoul start-up school together.  We both had an idea that totally differentiated us from the rest of our classmates -- we both wanted to start of own boxing club.  No sooner did I graduate the class but then I put my wish in motion and made it became a physical reality.  My friend he did too but a few years later.  Regardless of the time line differences, we are both at where we wanted to be, running our own club.  I consider us both to be very successful but too often than not success comes with a price tag and I can definitely vouch for the fact that we both definitely paid a big price to get to where we are and no one but us really knows just how true that is and to what extent I mean here.

Despite us being both friends, the conversation over brunch was rather serious in nature.  He's a very supportive friend but he also being an entrepreneur, pro boxer, foreigner, and married to a Korean means he and I can connect on more levels and on more things than probably the vast majority of my friends here.  I'm very much interested in taking our friendship to the mext step and connecting with him on a whole other level and by that I mean I am considering hiring him as my coach and manager upon return to Korea.  We talked about this the other day actually and he had suggested I travel to his club on the weekend to train and then practice what he's taught me at Hulk's during the week.  I think this is an awesome idea.

I stayed out in his neck of the woods till mid afternoon and then returned to Cheonan.  Snickers wanted to head out to Dongdaemoon in Seoul for some late night midnight shopping so that's exactly what we did...after a much deserved carb-loaded, refuel meal out I headed again out to Seoul.  I ate steak and pasta. Holy delish.  The last time I ate pasta was in Canada, twice actually.

I should have known that shopping out in Dongdaemoon, right by the location of the Neighbour Charles studio, that people would recognize us but woozers tonight it was just c-r-a-z-y!!!  I'm talking about some dudes yelling my name from a car as they drove by, a few people snapping our pics, one too many people randomly grabbing my arm to stop me as I walked in the crowded street, and even store owners yelling out to us.  We got a lot of attention when the show first aired but more so after the second episode though because of the heated preview for the third episode.  Snickers only thought it worth all the exposure and attention if we can use it for our own good so we used it to score us some sweet deals.  "I'll take a picture with you if you give me half off these pants", I told one seller... and BAM!!! Scored half off, sweet.
Tonight's purchases:
  • 5 pairs of pants
  • 2 long sleeve shirts
  • 2 t-shirts
  • 8 pairs of socks
  • 1 purse
    • Original price tag: $285
    • Our price tag:  $155
...and that's how it is done.  Hey if they feel alright randomly pointing me out in a crowded street than I feel alright randomly putting them on a spot for a bigger-than-usual discount.  I can't really afford to be shopping anyways, I'm moving to Canada, but I'm going to need some not-so-Korean clothes!

No comments: