As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Inked Again... Tuesday, August 25

Yes, I got inked... again.... for the fourth time actually.

Yesterday I received my first paycheck and though it didn't cover the price of my tattoo, I had already set in my mind that I would get another tattoo once the cash starts flowing here in the Great White North for me. 

My tattoo reads: Better than yesterday

It's our motto at Hulk's but something that I have really applied to my life long before assigning it as the motto for our club.  I got it done today on my arm but originally I was going to go for a small finger tattoo.  I loved the fact that a finger tattoo would be pretty inconspicuous and just really for me to see but after a chat with the tattoo artist I realized it was just a waste of money.  Finger tattoos don't last that long especially when you consider the wear and tear, use and abuse my hands go through with not only boxing, like the handwraps, but also with my weight training.  So I decided to change the location and go for the full motto, better than yesterday, on my arm.  

I was going to get it done on the inside of my arm, where I can see it, but then I realized that every time I take a photo I more often than not do my boxing pose -- fists up and arms in front of me.  Getting it done on the outside of my forearms meant it'd be in photos so then I had to decide upon the font and size.  I contemplated between getting a larger one but instead went for something smaller and I got it placed it according to where my handwraps end.

I love it.

Should I have gone with a bigger one with a more exaggerated script, maybe, but I like the simplicity of this one.  It looks clean and I think the size of it is appropriate and it doesn't seem to take away from my main tattoo -- my cherry blossom tree -- or compete with it for attention.  My cherry blossom is my main tattoo and I want to keep it as my focal point.  Having my motto on my arm is just a reminder for me.  It was never meant to be flashy or for all to see.  It is for me.

No comments: