As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

A Lover's Quarrel... Sunday, October 4

Upon coming to the end of my run around Forest Hill, I passed by a young couple that appeared to be having some kind of lover's quarrel -- a public spat that walkers and runners passing by were eyeing in.  I was one of these runners.  

I passed by the boyfriend.  He had his hand up in the air, holding a cell phone and motioning that he's going to throw it.  We were on the bridge part of the path and the bridge stands some five floors high or so.  As I ran by I gave a little giggle and commented to him, "Oh man,... don't do it".  

He did it.  He leaned back and then whipped that cellphone into the air.

The phone went flying and then landed someone I was sure on the squirrels and raccoons would be able to find.  It had landed in the deep shrubbery of the forested path.  Those of us on the path -- the couple, other runners, walkers, and I -- all watched it fly through the air and then we rushed to the edge of the bridge to watch it crash.

The boyfriend then turned and walked away, leaving the girlfriend there all teary-eyed.

They both looked about high school age, maybe first year freshmen at university or college.  The girlfriend was a pretty little thing, rather plump and her hair was done in perfect violet ringlets.  The boyfriend on the other hand, he looked like a scrawny little punk to me with his pants halfway down his butt, a shirt about a zillion times too big for him and a hair cut that looked like either his barber was drunk or blind.  

It was one of those moments where everyone had watched, everyone had heard and everyone had done nothing but witness it all.  I, on the other hand, got right into it.  I ran up to the girlfriend, put my arm around her and asked her if that was her phone and her boyfriend.  "Yes, that was my phone and I thought that was my boyfriend.  I gave him three years but he says he doesn't care about me" she started to tell me.  She started to get all worked up and not really knowing the situation at all or those involved it wasn't really my place to say anything so I thought I'd humour her and at least try make her smile.  

"Forget about him," I started to tell her, "I eat pieces of chicken better than him... now let's go find your phone!"

No sooner did we turn and head down the stairs to get her phone but low and behold the boyfriend comes racing up to us and he's all curious as to who I am and, more importantly, who I am to his girlfriend... ex girlfriend?!  "I'm the one who's calling you an idiot", I told him, "because you're going to go home, want to call her to apologise and then oh... wait, she has no phone so you can't call her.  And she has no phone because you threw it.  Good job buddy."

We ended up finding the phone.  I then sat down at my resting spot (see the pictures above) and watched as these two continued down the path together.  I don't know what became of that couple spat but it was hilarious to see just how fast that boyfriend was to come to her side when I put my arm around her and turned her around to walk away from him as opposed to chasing him.  Kids... hahaha.

No comments: