As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, February 04, 2016

Getting Checked Out at the Doctor's... Thursday, February 4

That awkward moment when someone says something to you and you ask them to repeat... again... and again... and then one more time.  And as if it didn't annoy them enough, you asking them repetitively, but you still didn't understand what they said.  This is exactly what went down in my doctor's appointment today -- my appointment with my family doctor, as in the doctor that not only brought me into this world but also my two older brothers.  

"Just take off your clothes, even your pants, and then lay down under this blanket", is what I thought he said.

"Sorry, could you repeat that?" I asked.

This is what I thought he then said every time he repeated.

"Just take off your clothes, even your panties."
"Just take off your clothes, not your panties."
"Just take off your clothes, not your pants."

The key words "even" and "not" plus "pants" and "panties" meant I was clearly misunderstanding what he was saying because of his Scottish accent.  So do I not or do, pants or panties?!

I hadn't come prepared to drop my trunks and I wasn't even wearing underwear to even take them off or leave them on so I took everything off except my leggings.  Even took my socks off.

When he walked back into the room I could tell by his body language that perhaps I hadn't done as he had told.  He kept looking at my ankles which were peaking from under the blanket so he could see I still had my leggings on.  Regardless, he started with my appointment.  He asked me various questions and then got me to sit up and asked me to breath in and out when placed the stethoscope on my back.

It was when he pulled the blanket off my chest, exposing it, that I suddenly held my breath.  He told me to relax and breath, and then did a routine breast examination for lumps.  I know it's his job, I'm well aware of that, but it's not my job to expose my body so I can't be comfortable doing so.  

My appointment with him concluded with him going over my initial two forms and adding numerous other ones to the pile.  I was told I had to go to the x-ray examination building located a 10 minute drive away and so I then did that.  

X-ray results to arrive Monday.

"Monday?!", I said.  Oh gosh.  I know I shouldn't complain about Canada's medical care, it's free, but it's so slow.  If this were Korea I'd have the results within minutes, dang.

Canada 1, Korea 0 for the price of medic care.
Canada 0, Korea 1 for the speediness of it's medic care.
I guess this means they balance out; it's a draw.

No comments: