As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, February 08, 2016

The Chinese New Year on my Table... Monday, February 8

Last night around 10:30pm there was a knock on my apartment door.  I opened it and, for the sake of needing a nickname here, was greeted by Asia.  His family had celebrated the Chinese New Year yesterday and I had been invited.  Originally I was going to attend, his mother had invited me, but then decided not to.  Much of his family would be in attendance and I didn't think it appropriate that I be there because it was a family thing.  I'm not his family. 

So there stood Asia at my door in front of me, with a bag.  

He took his shoes off, I took his jacket, and then he walked into my kitchen.  He opened the bag he had brought and inside it was a full course meal cooked by his mom and packaged up for me -- an appetizer, side dishes, a main dish of meat and rice, and even some desserts.

I hadn't attended Asia's family Chinese New Year celebration but they had sent him to my home with an entire meal for me.  I had sent Asia to them with various fruit gifts he had helped me pick out and some candy for the kids but I never thought they'd share their holiday meal with me.

I was so touched.

Today I got to enjoy some of their festive foods for my lunch and the sentiment behind it all made it taste all that more delish.

No comments: