As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

A Father and Daughter Kind of Day... Sunday, April 17

Took in some rays of sunshine, Polish jokes, lots of giggles, and lots of smiles down by the lake via my dad accompanying me today here in Toronto. 

My father drove into the city today to visit me and it was a very sweet visit though I must admit I never seem to have enough time to spend with him and he is always somewhat rushed home because I have something to do.  I always have things to do, a tight schedule, and I feel bad but I just have so much on the go. My father is a retired widow so he has plenty of free time, I don't. Sometimes I feel like there seriously isn't enough time in the day for all I want and need to do   I'm still very much sporting the Korean mentality -- go, go, go! 

My current fear is that I don't spend enough time with him though and that I'm going to regret it.  I missed out on spending time with my mom before she passed.  The hospital basically told me to come home before it's "too late" and so I came back.  I came and sat in the hospital and helped my mom plan her funeral, not exactly a memory on my list of memories I wanted to make with her.  I was always closer to my dad than my mom.  I was definitely daddy's little girl and people used to call me Henryetta when I was younger -- my dad's name is Henry.  Last week, when I was on that Bathurst streetcar, traveling home from training my client, I thought about my dad when I passed by his old house.  The streetcar had stopped right in front of his house so I grabbed my phone and called my dad.  Asked him if he wanted to go to church with me this week. I knew he'd jump at the chance and would say yes.  I also knew it might be the highlight of his week because he doesn't get out much now that my mom is gone.  So he came to the city today to see me, I penciled him into my schedule, but then I had things I had to do so he then went home.

I had training today.  Am about six weeks out from my fight so there's going to be no anticipated days off unless I really need one.

I saw my father for five hours today and in that time together we attended church service, had lunch out, and then strolled around at the lake shore.

I love the lake.  I love my dad. It was a perfect combination.

No comments: