As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

A Happy Disconnection... Saturday, April 9

I am being watched.

I am being watched not by someone, a fan.  A fan who lives in another country.  I thought I gained my privacy back when I moved to Canada, away from the cameras that judged me, the boxing community that had put me in the spotlight, and the Korean culture that tried to push me to reform.  

I was wrong.

Maybe he is watching me here via my homepage too.  I don't know but now I catch myself straining things so much, typing things and then erasing them, refraining myself from what I really want to say and really want to share.

Over 600 private messages in five days and it was only five days ago that this started.  I met with the manager of Clancy's today in the morning and we discussed it.  I also discussed it with Coach Perez and Hardknock's owner and manager, LB, yesterday.  I turned my phone notification off last night while I slept but found myself waking up relatively, convinced that it was buzzing with another dozen or so messages. 

I needed to get away from it but how could I, Facebook notifications get sent right to my phone.

Found a solution if just a temporary one.

Headed out of town to my good friend Graeme's birthday party.  It was being hosted at his beautiful cottage out in the sticks, away from civilization as we knew it and away from any kind of cellphone service, well at least my phone didn't work there.  I got to see my friends, had a great time, finally got to see my friend's beautiful cottage, and just kick back and relax.  It was just what I needed to disconnect.

No comments: