As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Fight Night in Toronto... Friday, April 22

I have a visitor visiting me today, this weekend actually, from the States so I'm suppose to be the hostess with the mostest.  I'm not good with these kind of things though -- showing out of town friends some secret gems of the city that tourists don't usually find.  My buddy J-Doll is good with that, I'm not.  I'm a homebody so I like to stay home plus I'm too exhausted from training and whatnot to want to use what energy is left to go out.  Through in the fact that I'm a starving athlete and can't really afford to go out and ya, I knew going into this weekend that I may in fact win the award for the worst hostess ever.  

I did in fact look up some ideas though, ask around and inquire about things to do.  This basically meant though that I only had planned things for today -- shooting practice out in Clarrington, a stroll down by the lake, live boxing tonight, and then possibly checking out my roommate's sister's birthday party downtown. 

That was the plan but it didn't go exactly as planned... never does.

Shooting practice out in Clarrington was amazing though, very cool.  A friend I had met back in the day, way back in elementary school, has 185 acres of land and had told me he'd teach me how to shoot a rifle if I ever visited.  I took him up on his awesome offer and showed up today with my special visitor.  We had driven over an hour out of the city, to the pure sticks, where we then pulled up to the house of my buddy.  I jumped out of the car, ran up to him and greeted with a huge hug.  My friend's little son joined us in the shooting practice which was so hilarious for me because it was like looking at my friend but back when we first met.  His son is an exact replica of him; it blew my mind!  I'll admit I was nervous to fire the guns at first so when my friend told me just to fire it just to get a feel for it, I closed my eyes, turned my head, aimed out into no where, and fired it.  "BAM", it blasted!!!  My friend's son is only 6 but has been firing guns since he was 3; he even has his own gun.  I figured if he could do it than I could do it.  Not to toot my own horn or anything but according to this little replica of my friend, I came in first place for most targets hit.  I think I only honestly scored second place out of the four of us but I'm not going to argue with an adorable kid with blond hair.

The walk by the lake was a bit of a bust because it was cold but I sucked it up and went anyways.  Tried my best not to complain about freezing my Polish butt off.

As for the rest of the night, see the pictures above.  We attended Global Legacy's fight night -- A Tribute -- and that was pretty entertaining. I was a little bit disappointed with the choice of venue and the fact that there was absolutely no write up or info about the fighters on tonight's fight card.  It seemed more like a lot of self promotion for Global Legacy if anything but they did give me two tickets so I can't complain and I am grateful.  For the most part, some of the fights didn't go as many of us had expected and I was shocked at how every Canadian fighter on the card fought a visiting fighter so it made for an interesting evening out.   

No comments: