As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, April 22, 2016

From the Country to the City

Out in the boonies of Ontario, I ended up on a drizzly Friday morning.
A childhood friend of mine invited me out to his place today, a home way out in the country on a massive piece of land buzzing with wildlife... well, minus one now.
That's the bones of what's left of a deer that a pack of coyotes got a hold of... yikes.
His little sidekick joined us for the day.
...and schooled us all on how to shoot a gun!
First up to test his skills was my visitor up from the States.
I was super nervous to shoot the gun and not because I thought I'd get hurt but because I had put my ego on the line.  I got competitive.
My buddy was an amazing teacher though and I killed it.
...got a bit cocky about it too, about how I had hit so many of those clay pigeons.
My evening was spent enjoying some live professional fights.
The fight card kicked off with that new American kid Coach Perez had been training for a bit before he headed up to Ottawa to change clubs.  Tonight was his pro debut.
Unfortunately he didn't win which was surprising because I've seen him spar.  He didn't fight tonight like he sparred though.  I don't know if it was nerves or what but he really wasn't on par with what I've seen from him.
The venue was packed.
After the American kid's fight, Global Legacy opened the show up with some bagpipes.
It was an interesting touch that was quite mezmorizing to watch.
My date for the fights was a bit camera shy but I managed to somewhat get a shot of us.
Next up was Sasha.  His opponent wasn't as tall as him but boy was he a large fighter!
Down went his opponent, a few times actually.  It was a clear win for him.
The fight that I think really got the crowd was that of Sandy's.  The crowd always loves a good girl fight and with Sandy's adorable daughter in the crowd yelling "go Mommy", you couldn't help but be into this particular fight.
Sandy's fight, best fight of the night.

No comments: