As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea on February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, reality TV star, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company (Flipside Fitness), CEO of my own boxing club (Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing), and now I'm launching my 3rd business -- Empowered Clubhouse.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again. This time it was for the Philippines. That's where I am now, living in the land of the happy people. The struggles are real and the struggles are many but I'm living life on my terms, I'm calling the shots, and I'm doing what I love. Life is an amazing adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Should I Go or Should I Stay... Sunday, April 24

I missed church today on account of an important decision I had to make.

Should I accept a last minute fight for next 
Saturday (April 30th) in North Carolina?

Last night shortly before midnight I got a call from a promoter in the States.  He had a fighter scheduled to fight and her opponent wasn't able to fight so he was scrambling last minute to find a replacement opponent.  He had called several people and one of the people he had called was a boxing manager in New York who had reached out to me when I first arrived in Canada here.  

It's a six round fight in North Caroline scheduled for next Saturday which would mean I'd fly out this Friday for weigh-in and then step into the ring the next day with less than a week to prepare.  

It was tempting. 

I got a variety of responses from those I questioned about it.  My roommate was all for it as was my personal training client and Double J.  Clancy's K helped me reach out to some contacts and inquire more about the details of my opponent and the fight scene down there.  Coach Perez wasn't for it but said I was the boxer so it'd be ultimately my decision.  Truthfully, I really wanted to take it and was super hesitant with giving my yes or no but my gut told me to go with whatever Coach Perez said. I figured if I overrode his opinion than he'd get the vibe that I don't trust his judgement call or that I was being rude.  So far Coach Perez has been very open and honest to me about the politics of boxing here so who am I to think I know more, test things out as such by taking this fight, and override his judgement call.  I have to trust that he knows best for me and that he has my best interest in mind.  

I decided to not take the fight but that didn't come without many phone calls and involving a handful of people I trust.  I had people in the States, here in Canada and even someone in Korea bouncing ideas off with me.  

At 8pm I got the phone call for my decision.  

Instead of coming flat out and saying I wasn't going to take the fight I posed an offer I really didn't think they would agree to.  I gave them a figure for the fight purse that was well beyond what they had offered.  I figured if I did this then they'd pull their offer for me to be a replacement fighter or if they did say yes to it then it'd at least make it worth for me to take it.  I'm still a starving athlete remember.  This fight could pay for all that gear I need plus make life more comfortable for the next few months.

They didn't accept my offer.  

I'm not fighting next Saturday and I'm okay with that.  It was a most random opportunity but  I've got my fight in Mexico to stay focused on.  I really can't let some last minute fight distract me from that or God help injury me before that.  

My mind is still very much focused on Mexico.

No comments: