As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

A Feeling of Panic Followed by Feeling Blessed... Tuesday, May 10

Someone called me "soft" and mistook my random smiles during training and spontaneous giggles as me not being serious about my game.  That's cool, I'm not offended but I'm not soft.  I'm just so happy to be here, living here in Canada, doing what I love, and training for an upcoming fight.  The details of my fight are still up in the air and it sounds super shady but I'm okay with that.  I'm just happy to be doing what I'm doing.  

You see, when you reach an all time low in your life, when you have no one but you to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and push yourself forward, that's when you really see life from a whole new perspective.  I have since risen from my low point and I'm still rising but I have definitely started to see just how much there is to be happy and smile about.  I started to see it the moment I got off that plane and realized that I was now safe.  Nothing will ever be as bad as it once was for me and no one can even begin to understand that but me, God, and one other person.  

Last night I got a text message during my training at Clancy's.  It was from my personal training client telling me that she may have to take this month off.  Taking a month off for her means no pay for me.  I had a mini panic attack at the sight of the message and had to go to the bathroom to compose myself.  Money is tight and it may very well get a hell of a lot tighter but you know what this too will pass and this too I can get through.  If being strapped for cash is my biggest problem here in Canada than I'm truly blessed because in Korea I could have only wished and begged for that to be my problem compared to what I had there.  

I've reached my lowest point in my life, when I was in Korea, but now I'm here and now I've started a whole new life.  I may have only $35 in my pocket right now to last me till God knows when but I'm here safe, doing what I love, and am surrounded by not only friends and family that love me but also a solid, solid crew of trainers and coaches that are pushing my boxing career forward and helping me create my Second Dream.  Life is good.  I had absolutely no idea how I'm going to afford groceries next week but that is okay.  Life is still good.  I have this second chance at life, at a new life, and I'll forever be blessed for it.

No comments: