As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

A Lack of Social Interaction... Tuesday, May 3

Sometimes it's a really quite, secluded life -- the life I lead as a pro athlete.  Unlike most people who have a regular job where they work with coworkers or come home to family, my work pretty much only includes my coaches, gym staff and fellow mates training, and I come home to just my roommate.  On days I train late though, like tonight's weight training session, often the gym is operating on limited staff, most of my mates have trained and gone home and sometimes my roommate doesn't even come home though, she stays at her friend's place, so my people interaction is at an all time low. 

Today a long time no see guy I dated back in the day drove into Toronto to see me.  He treated me to breakfast out and then we decided to head downtown to check out a sports store together, down by the Air Canada Centre.  The Raptors have a basketball game tonight so there were construction workers setting up the Jurassic Park (public crowd viewing area) and there was a news reporter.  We headed into the store to check out the line of We the North fitted caps amd the reporter followed us in.  I was then interviewed.  After that, I had boxing in the afternoon and weight training in the late evening.  Coach Perez had blood work to do for his upcoming fight so he swung by the club, told me what training to do, hugged me, and then left me with the keys.  None of my teammates showed up, they have sparring tonight, so it was just me training at the boxing club alone today.  I headed into System to weight train late tonight, long after much of the staff had gone home and many of my friends had finished training so it made for a quite night at the gym.

For today's entry I decided to keep track of everyone I had a conversation with.  A lot of random people say hi or a random sentence to me here and there, like the Asian dude who works the corner store and the TTC bus driver who yelled at me to hurry up when he stopped the bus and waited for me to cross the street after boxing, but for the sake of this list I made, I decided to only include people I had am actual conversation with -- more than a couple of sentences.

1. Foo-Man Choo -- former dude I dated
2. TV News Reporter -- random TV interview with him about the Raptors
3. The Jamaican Beauty -- my roommate

AT HARDKNOCKS BOXING...
4. Coach Perez -- my head boxing coach

AT SYSTEM FITNESS...
5. Ginger Spice -- my gal pal
6. Coach Madman -- my running coach
7. The Mmmm Polack -- fellow Polish friend/body builder 
8. Rev Tiger (aka Mr. T) -- friend and motivator 
9. Two-Ton Trainer T -- System Fitness trainer
10. Big Man -- boxing buddy

My life today just barely included a double digit amount of people I talked to today and if you notice 7 of the 10 were from where I train at -- Hardknocks and System.  My roommate was almost a given considering I live with her so basically I only talked to two people today outside of my work -- Foo-Man Choo and the TV News Reporter.  

It's days like today that I kind of envy those who have regular jobs for the very fact that sure their routine, predictable paycheck is nice but also because of the social interaction that fills up their days.

No comments: